Distance to lands, how close is too close?

Off hand=standing with no rest.
Most decent shooters can make this shot……

……the number of shots it takes to connect is the unknown 😉
1639150182985.jpeg

I am loading up some 180 Berger vlds for my 28 nosler and trying to follow Berger's process for finding the best seating depth. So far the best group has been at 0.005 off the lands, which is the longest oal I have loaded. In your opinions, is this too close to the lands for a hunting load? I certainly don't want to get a bullet stuck some day and ruin a hunt. Thanks for the insight
I have a question,? Why are you treating a Huntingoad Like a Target Load? I know we all want as perfect Groupi g as possible. UT killing an a i.al doest really matter if it's a Dime Group or a Quarter.Actually a 50 ent piece..Its s h I'll a Dead Elk..Deer or Bear.
Good Luck.
I agree about worrying about a stuck bullet..ok how many y big a imams are killed each year with Ov÷r The Counter Factory Ammo

I am loading up some 180 Berger vlds for my 28 nosler and trying to follow Berger's process for finding the best seating depth. So far the best group has been at 0.005 off the lands, which is the longest oal I have loaded. In your opinions, is this too close to the lands for a hunting load? I certainly don't want to get a bullet stuck some day and ruin a hunt. Thanks for the insight
Personally I have never had an issue with them touching the lans in any of my hunting and match loads providing that is what your gun likes. I would not cram them into the lans for a hunting round

I have a question,? Why are you treating a Huntingoad Like a Target Load? I know we all want as perfect Groupi g as possible. UT killing an a i.al doest really matter if it's a Dime Group or a Quarter.Actually a 50 ent piece..Its s h I'll a Dead Elk..Deer or Bear.
Good Luck.
I agree about worrying about a stuck bullet..ok how many y big a imams are killed each year with Ov÷r The Counter Factory Ammo
I nearly had a stroke reading that.

I like to squeeze accuracy regardless of the rifle but lots of people hunt and shoot with the same rifle. I develop a load that is capable for both if that's what the rifles for.

Actually, I shoot way better off hand. I've tried resting my bottom limb on the bench, tree limb, summit climber rail, and on my knee while sitting in a chair. Nothing works!

I'm sorry. I can't leave this off hand alone. 🤣
I'm in a extra good mood. It's Friday and I just scored 8lbs of h4350 and retumbo from a lgs!

Last edited:
I nearly had a stroke reading that.

I like to squeeze accuracy regardless of the rifle but lots of people hunt and shoot with the same rifle. I develop a load that is capable for both if that's what the rifles for.
I spend more time and Percision on my hunting loads than my match loads. First most my animals have been taken between 800 yds and 1,300 yds. Second if I mess up a match the guys just give me a hard time, but if I mess up a hunting shot I just wound and possibly lose an animal, something I have never done nor want to do!

Was staying in motel....pack in and out every morning and evening...the rifle isn't the only thing soaked when I'm finished for the day.....
Plenty of time for elements to get thru the action.....tape on barrel...doesnt stay put....
But good advice to spread...
I clean the end of the barrel surface with solvent prior to applying 3M or Scotch brand plastic electric tape (cheap brands of electric tape always fail). 2 layers in a cross over the bore opening then a tight wrap down from the end of the barrel about 2 inches. I hunt in Arizona and Colorado each of which has weather challenges. I also carry my rifles with a Solo rifle cover. They are quick and easy to remove. In Arizona we deal with dust, dirt and leaf matter that are not friendly to bores and actions. The rifle cover is my answer to all these nuisances.

The distance will grow with every shot expelled from the muzzle! Do to throat erosion. It's only to close if you can't load your mag ( if using one ) our you can't close your action. You do have a pressure spike if touching the lands and groves. So be careful with max loads!

I I t
I tried different values, an
Just to clarify you tried the following seating depths:
  1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
and determined that .005" was the best in terms of smallest group size?

I tried different values and after watching Eric Cortina's video where he recommends starting at .006 and adjust CBTO in .006 increments, it has been a tremendous success for me.

Just to add one more thing, I have SEEN, guys who like to Jam the bullets in their 6 mm PPC rifles, sometimes have a powder dump into the action /trigger aera if they need to extract the live round!!! The bullet is trapped in the lands and the powder is all over the action. Big mess!!!!!!!

Just to add one more thing, I have SEEN, guys who like to Jam the bullets in their 6 mm PPC rifles, sometimes have a powder dump into the action /trigger aera if they need to extract the live round!!! The bullet is trapped in the lands and the powder is all over the action. Big mess!!!!!!!
That is a benchrest cartridge. literally everyone is jamming bullets. I read an article about the Houston Warehouse He was jamming so hard the rifling would actual engrave the bullet

I have sent about 10,000 VLD's to the target and all have been .010" to .015 " pushed / jammed passed the point where they touch the lands. I have also had good accuracy at .020" away from the lands. Have heard of farther away but usually with the L T ogive types although a good rectangular to square impression is not uncommon.

Recent Posts