Hotrod 22 and 6mm calibers

Just another cartridge that Is cheep and lots of fun that does a great job at reasonable ranges on varmints. The 223 AI. Improving it adds about 100 to 140 ft/sec to the standard 223 Rem. the 223 can propell a 40 Grain bullet at 3650 ft/sec The AI version can up that to almost 3800 ft/sec. And with the 30 grain bullets it can easily reach 4,000 ft/sec. (Not bad for the little cartridge)

Ammo availability is almost unlimited and Lupua makes the 223 cases that fire form with ease. Varmints don't require the heavy bullets and the light bullets are fast and flat
and are devastating to all varmints.

I even built a muzzle brake for mine that makes it extremely easy to make follow up shots on running game after the first shots.

J E CUSTOM

While I don't quite call my 223AI a "hotrod", it is a formidable round. With my 26" 1/8tw, I load the 75grAmax/ELD @ 3,005 with AA2520 and old bulk lot of Data74 (similar to 2520). It holds a .2-.25MOA, and I use that load all the way to the 1,000yd line. Also, it does well With the 40NBT, and it runs a very accurate 3,820fps with H335. It is a great high volume P-dog round.

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder what the .224 Valkyrie could do with light pills and rifling & throating to match. I'm sure that there are faster chambers out there, but I've never cared for the massively overbore chambers, and I put the .22-250 & .220 Swift in that bin.

243 AI. No doubt, 26" bbl. Short action vs. 6-280, virtually same velocity. 1-8 or 1-9"
Use it for ALL hunting. Prairie dogs to elk!

I'm currently shooting a 22-250, have been for nearly 20 years. Rebareled a couple years ago to an 8 twist 26" tube. Shooting 75 grain eld-m's accurately past 1k. Don't recall velocity off the top of my head, 3100+. Long shot, so far, 1131 yd prairie dog. Just ordered a Cooper Western Classic in 6 Creedmore. It sounds like a great round for the model 54 action. Standard 8 twist barrel intended for 108 gr eld-m's. It will be another marmot gun. Next on the list is a 6.5-284 shooting the 156 gr Berger's. I messed with wildcats for several years, but tired of the extra work involved. There are standardized rounds that will do anything I want... nice and simple.

.224 Vias might fit your bill.

I've known Geroge Vias for 20's he's now on an island off the coast of Greece, I have done a lot of work with him over those years, his .224 Vias and his 6.5 Vias are excellent performing cartridges in those calibers.

I cannot find any info on the 224 Vais. Can anyone share what it is exactly? Pictures? Thanks

Joe

I've known Geroge Vias for 20's he's now on an island off the coast of Greece, I have done a lot of work with him over those years, his .224 Vias and his 6.5 Vias are excellent performing cartridges in those calibers.

In a .224 cartridge make it easy on yourself and go with a 22-243. Dies are available and 243 Lapua cases can simply be run into a FL 22-243 die. Easy peasy

I ran an 8 twist 22-243AI for awhile. 75gr A-max (moly) bullets would shoot incredibly tight groups at 3,670 ft/sec. PA groundhogs hated that rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.