22 Mag and Coyotes

In Michigan, a rimfire or birdshot is all we are allowed to use at night on coyote. I have not yet bought a 17wsm so all I have is a 22WMR.

This image gives one an idea of what a cluster it is:
mtltostkmnthrdwr.gif

If it worked, I could have cared less, but really, the rifle could not shoot better than 5moa (at best !). Every other rifle I own is 0.5 to 3/4 MOA where even at 50 yards a group is 2.5" at best with this ***. That is having tried every type of ammo I can get my hands on. In disgust, I removed my $3800 scope and put on a Weaver 6x that I had spare and gave it to a friend who needed something to dispatch raiding possums and raccoons.

Yeah, that sorry *** thing looks like it was pulled out of a dumpster! Or a garbage grinder. :D Good enough for racoon inside a trash can... maybe! :)

When I last lived there in the fall/winter 77-78, I used to use a .222 Rem for red fox at night, even though it wasn't legal (statute of limitations long ago expired on my crime). The .222 Rem was pretty tough on hides - too much velocity for a frail bodied red fox - no matter which bullets I tried. And I tried everything from HP to FMJ. A coyote has a lot more mass, so I think there would be much less exit side damage with a .222 / .223 class catridge. But this thread is about .22 WMR... We used .22 WMR on a lot of fox also, both daytime and night time, and it was plenty of power on red fox with any type of solid body hit. A HUGE difference in KO factor compared to a standard 40gr .22 LR.

The OP already has a rifle by the sounds of it, but based on my poor process of elimination, semi auto is out (tried a CZ 512 - shot like crap) and Savage is out. It looks like Ruger does a decent job on their rimfire bolt guns. There is the Browning T bolt for about $650.

Part of my dillema was that neither CZ not Browning offered a stainless option. The hunting conditions I deal with, the weapon is pretty much going to get covered in frost every time you come inside after being hunting. I leave it in the rifle case, but it is impossible to eliminate any chance of condensation somewhere. At least Ruger does have the stainless option.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.