7 mag for coyotes

Well Heck ya a 7 Mag. for coyotes..120 V-Max or BT. "OVERKILL"???WHATS THAT? UNLESS You keep the plets for slef-Worth,what are they worth anymore anyway? Nothing!!

I've killed more with the 7 then anything else..why? more time in the field. Hey dont take me wrong. I've got friends that run 22-250, swift etc. but past 200 yrds. I have also heard I was right on his arss(blood,you bet) but no dog!!!

Here I am today, 257 Wby....why?
cause it flat gets the job done, 1 round, just lead 'em on the run an let her fly!...no hold over...well to 400 plus

Eastcoast=dogs are P-holes....

come out to eastern Wa and I'll show you some dogs that will take a hit from a 250.......he' will die but hey I have seen plenty get up an run(never to be found from a 22 centerfire(I have a 250, 1-9 twist 75g A-Max's,this is about as good as it gets in 22))
And I like to mark my territory after a kill. I do NOT like to loose any critter

75's are OK....Lets make a mess

Last edited:
I agree with you on the 7 mag but I like my 264 mag with 100 Btips it runs right beside the 7mag next in line is my 25-06AI with 85 Btips at 3920 fps.

OKIE,
I like the 6..5 bullet as I am the new owner of a 6.5x47 Lapua in a model 12 LRPV now but this guy has 7mm on his mind..no fun intended as my next LONG long range will be a .284 bullet slinger....maybe 7 ultra

Blasting coyotes with my deer rifle is a good way to get more field shooting in with that rifle. Lately it's been the .25-06, before that a 7mm Rem mag got used quite a bit. Deer & coyotes. No problem. Wasn't interested in selling hides anyway.

Coyote Wallace - you're not kidding about some of our Northwest coyotes, some are big and beautiful. Those hides can be impressive, as can the size of some of the big dogs.

Guy

I've used my 7mm RM on coyotes for the last two years. Last season I had 36 total half of those were killed from 500 to 917yds with a 168 berger, pelt damage was minimal at extended ranges, not so under 300. The other half were shot with a 25-06 117 seirra at ranges from 20 to 450 yds. Pelt damage was sometimes severe but they died quickly. The 7mm is a custom rig built by Nathan at SSG and is used for precision shooting at stationary targets. The 25-06 was a weatherby ultralight mark V used for close quick shooting at running coyotes or standing coyotes. I traded that rifle for a 6.5x.284 from SSG. I was always taking two rifles around in my vehicles, a light and a heavy. The 6.5 is going to fill both spots once I get used to it.

In the last month I have 8 coyotes, 2 fox .

With the 7mm coyotes at 747, 530, 480, 981, fox 425

With th 6.5 coyotes 743, 660, fox 695

Ar-15 coyotes 230, 350

The fox with the 7mm had hardly any pelt damage, about 25% of what it would have been with my 22-250.

The fox at 695 with the 6.5 was hit in the head no pelt damage.
I have noticed that the 6.5 140 A-max does more damage than the 7mm 168.

The part that I dont like about using 7mm rem mag and such is were is that bullet going after it leaves the back side?

If you don't know the ballistics of your rifle you should not even be hunting with it. Always know what is around you first before you fire any gun.

where does the bullet go after shooting a deer,,,,
my nearest neighbor is 12 miles away, the next neighbor 25 miles where i hunt,,
maybe in an urban area, then a 12 gauge and 00 buck is handy

The part that I dont like about using 7mm rem mag and such is were is that bullet going after it leaves the back side?

A 7 mag with a 140 grain bullet at 3116 fps if I shoot level from my shoulder
which is 58 inches the bullet will hit the ground at 620 yards.
Now after your bullet went through an animal the bullet will be going much slower so it will not get to 620 yards either.
Now if you are in heavy wooded area I bet your bullet will never get out of the woods before hitting a tree.
And if you stand on a 20 foot ladder your bullet will still hit the gound at 1000 yards

Last edited:
where does the bullet go after shooting a deer,,,,
my nearest neighbor is 12 miles away, the next neighbor 25 miles where i hunt,,
maybe in an urban area, then a 12 gauge and 00 buck is handy

If you are shooting a 50 BMG you can aim at either one of them houses if you can even see them and that bullet will never get 1/6 th of the way there.
The most very long shots for our best snipers is only 1 1/2 miles which is 2640 yards.

Its just I have been in the woods and heard bullts fly by and hit a tree scard the blank out of me. And I sean blaze orange all around me after sun up. Knowing that pepleo are out with 300 rum's 7mm rem mag's and so on and only 100 yards away who are not in my party just is'nt a good thing. I dont hunt there any more. But yes there are pepleo out there who are smart enought but not all of them. Thats all I am saying just be carfull.

Its just I have been in the woods and heard bullts fly by and hit a tree scard the blank out of me. And I sean blaze orange all around me after sun up. Knowing that pepleo are out with 300 rum's 7mm rem mag's and so on and only 100 yards away who are not in my party just is'nt a good thing. I dont hunt there any more. But yes there are pepleo out there who are smart enought but not all of them. Thats all I am saying just be carfull.
I'm with CVA54, a good friend of mine was watching a buck @150yds +- and a guy directly inline with him and the deer @ 400yds. The guy fired and missed and my buddy heard the bullet zip by. The guy shot again and finaly hit the deer(in the back leg). My buddy had to shoot a couple rounds into the air before the other guy even knew he was there, my buddy was wearing an orange jacket and hat while standing upright in the open(at first, before he had to hit the ground.

My point is that most of us on this site are a bit more responsible hunters than this guy was, but just make sure your not "that guy" if your using something that's gonna throw lead that far. Other than that, the only reason I can see not to use the 7mag is the fact that it's kinda spendy to shoot. The fun factor cancels that even that out most of the time.

The hillside!

Good point, but generally I'm hunting them in canyons and mountains where there's a good backstop for the bullet. If I am out on the flats, there's miles and miles of wheatfields, with nobody out there.

Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.