7 mag for coyotes

loves2hunt

anyone use a 7 mag for coyotes? it seems a little over kill, and i'm thinking about a getting a new rifle, but i wanted to see if anyone else uses the 7 mag

I've used the old, but quite good Speer 115gr #1617 Varmint bullet in many 7mm's including the 7mm Rem Mag. They really do a good job on most everything. After all there is no over kill; dead is dead, unless you're saving hides.

I shot a 'yote at ~250yards with 120gr Nosler BT in 7mm Mag. Just went right through. The 120's are very accurate in my rifle.

My dad took one with his 375H&H.

The last time I went coyote hunting I took my 7mm mag because I had plenty of ammo loaded for it and had recently confirmed zero. Didn't help, I missed the yote any way! Must remember to put the scope on the correct power setting when using a ballistic reticle for hold over. Dang it!

I don't save the hides, just the tails so I don't worry about big holes.

i have shot coyotes with the 7mm when i was hunting elk. the recoil and blast is more than my regular coyote rifles. it killed them . it is a good excuse to get another rifle if you are so inclined. one of my most accurate rifles is a 7mm sendero.

436 said:
After all there is no over kill; dead is dead, unless you're saving hides.
loves2hunt,
I agree with 436, there's no such thing as overkill or too much rifle, as dead is dead. I have a .25-06 for coyotes, but was considering the 300 Weatherby.

I've heard guys say that they wished they'd shot a second or thrid time or "I should've put another round in him, but I thought he was down" or "I can't believe he got back up and ran off." :rolleyes:

I'd much rather the guy standing next to me would have a shocked look on his face and say, "Do you think ya got him?"(sarcastic) or "Geez, do you think ya used enough rifle?" or "Wow! You can read a newpaper through that one."

Good luck with your choices!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

7mm mag for coyote is pretty much overkill. Out at very long ranges I'm sure it'll put them down. I think I'd rather use my .308 for longer shots. Less punishing and less expensive to shoot.

I used my 7mm pretty much exclusively this past season for coyotes. There were a couple that were really messy, like gut shots with a 100gr HP. I used that Sierra Varminter 100gr for most of my kills (before I really understood the difference between .2 and .6 BC at 400yds) This year I'm going to use heavier hunting load. Much better for long range shots, and not nearly as explosive as match or varmint loads. I'm waiting to try out some 168gr bergers on a pup!

Also, most of my kills were no bloodier than my buddy's with his .243 (80gr NBT). And I didn't have any runners, he did. :rolleyes:

I also have a new Remington 5R I want to try coyotes with this year. I think the 155gr scenar will do nicely! :D

The last time I went coyote hunting I took my 7mm mag because I had plenty of ammo loaded for it and had recently confirmed zero. Didn't help, I missed the yote any way! Must remember to put the scope on the correct power setting when using a ballistic reticle for hold over. Dang it!

I don't save the hides, just the tails so I don't worry about big holes.

If you use the point blank range of your bullet load you won't have to worry about hold over. this will keep you shooting inside a 6 inch circle to that point
in yards.

The 162 Amax made a mess at less than 100, I haven't shot any at longer ranges. I was thinking about the target VLDs with the heavier jacket. Might be worth a try.

i shoot a 7mag with 168 berger for everything, up to 9 coyotes this year since deer season ended,,,,2 tonight, 1 at 711 yds and 1 at 491 yds,,, missed a 540 yd shot,,,,oh well,,,,

kills well everything i have shot with it,,,,,

I use my 7mm Rem Mag. in the spring when coyotes hang up, sit down, and bark at me from a far. I am shooting a 168 Berger over Reloader 22.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.