Hotrod 22 and 6mm calibers

SealT5

I'm searching for some ideas for a new killing machine. Possibilities include 22-6x284, 6x284, 6x47L Imp., 22x47L Imp, 22bra, etc... What are some other calibers to look at? I am only interested in cartridges that can utilize quality brass like lapua, alpha, adg, and Peterson. Thanks in advance

Joe S

Depending on what you are killing, but since you did state a couple of 22's, I agree with the 22 CM. Basically, it is a 22-250AI with a 30* shoulder instead of a 40*. Accuracy is excellent, and with a fast twist, the 80-90gr bullets can really reach out.

I shoot the 22-250AI in an 1/8tw, and the 80's can reach out to a mile and remain super-sonic. It is a deadly on appropriate sized varmints/game.

Depending on what you are killing, but since you did state a couple of 22's, I agree with the 22 CM. Basically, it is a 22-250AI with a 30* shoulder instead of a 40*. Accuracy is excellent, and with a fast twist, the 80-90gr bullets can really reach out.

I shoot the 22-250AI in an 1/8tw, and the 80's can reach out to a mile and remain super-sonic. It is a deadly on appropriate sized varmints/game.

This, I built my 22-250AI just before the creed explosion. Were I to do it again I'd build a 22 Creed. Imo, anything bigger is just going to shorten barrel life and do little for performance.

This, I built my 22-250AI just before the creed explosion. Were I to do it again I'd build a 22 Creed. Imo, anything bigger is just going to shorten barrel life and do little for performance.

Yea. When this barrel goes, I'm going 22CM also. I do use some CM brass and fireform in my AI chamber, but just because. Anything more in capacity gains little.

I refuse to be apart of the creedmoor clan. No offense to any of y'all. It is indeed a fantastic caliber that's gaining popularity. Just simply don't want to own one.

I have a print worked up with JGS for a wildcat based off the 6.5x47L. I'm contemplating actually ordering it

I refuse to be apart of the creedmoor clan. No offense to any of y'all. It is indeed a fantastic caliber that's gaining popularity. Just simply don't want to own one.

I have a print worked up with JGS for a wildcat based off the 6.5x47L. I'm contemplating actually ordering it

LOL....I understand. Sounds like a winner...go for it.

Lots of options and possibilities out there, that is for sure.

If you want to keep the option open to ever shoot factory ammo, 22-250 and 22 Creedmoor will be your best options. There's always the 220 Swift, but brass quality is much better for the other two.

One of my all time favorites is the 6-284. Even though the 6-284 is technically a "wildcat" cartridge, it's so easy to make and load for I barely consider it one. My 6-284 was the first gun I ever had built and I can't imagine ever not having one in the stable.

The 6 Creedmoor is basicly a 243 but IMO with a little better case design. I'm getting ready to have a 20in. 6 CM built to shoot 70gr Ballistic Tips as kind of a mid range shorty build.

For a hot rod 22 cal build maybe talk to Defensive Edge Rifles about their 224 Terminator, it's their version of a 22-243 Improved. One of the big benefits of going with Defensive Edge is you can buy "formed" Lapua brass ready to go right from them so you won't have to mess with fireforming yourself and go straight to shooting.

I'm shooting the 80gr ELD-M at 3650fps from my 224 Terminator and the thing shoots like a lazer. With only a hand full of rounds down the pipe, this was the first group Shawn shot with it.
224 Terminator target.png

I was in that camp at one point then I broke down and built one. It was a fun rifle no doubt and I wouldn't be ashamed to own another 6.5 manbun.

I just picked up a Savage LRP barreled action for a budget fun gun at the range. I'm seriously thinking of dropping a Shilen bull barrel in 6 Dasher into it.

It would be a great rifle for the range with little recoil and great barrel life plus a 105 Berger at 2900ish is still good for deer and hogs in a pinch.

Here are some dummy rounds I've made. My print on the 6x47L has a few changes

EAB1E1BE-7CDD-4DF6-A70E-C3B611E8BC6F.jpeg

22 Dasher-6x47L Imp- 300NM
A487AB07-2E86-47A6-ACED-279E3D28B773.jpeg

6 Dasher-22Dasher-22x47L Imp-6x47L Imp

Lots of options and possibilities out there, that is for sure.

If you want to keep the option open to ever shoot factory ammo, 22-250 and 22 Creedmoor will be your best options. There's always the 220 Swift, but brass quality is much better for the other two.

One of my all time favorites is the 6-284. Even though the 6-284 is technically a "wildcat" cartridge, it's so easy to make and load for I barely consider it one. My 6-284 was the first gun I ever had built and I can't imagine ever not having one in the stable.

The 6 Creedmoor is basicly a 243 but IMO with a little better case design. I'm getting ready to have a 20in. 6 CM built to shoot 70gr Ballistic Tips as kind of a mid range shorty build.

For a hot rod 22 cal build maybe talk to Defensive Edge Rifles about their 224 Terminator, it's their version of a 22-243 Improved. One of the big benefits of going with Defensive Edge is you can buy "formed" Lapua brass ready to go right from them so you won't have to mess with fireforming yourself and go straight to shooting.

I'm shooting the 80gr ELD-M at 3650fps from my 224 Terminator and the thing shoots like a lazer. With only a hand full of rounds down the pipe, this was the first group Shawn shot with it.
View attachment 157079

I've owned a 6mmAI for some time, and like your 6-284, it has been a great joy. Like you, I plan to always own one, but brass selection isn't the best. About 20 or so years ago, a friend of mine went with the 6-284 build in his 1,000yd BR rifle, and that son-of-a-gun set 5 world records with that cartridge. So even though I may be slow on the uptake, I may have to build one....someday?

I was actually talking to Hunter yesterday with HP Precision. He had so much praise and worship for the 6x284 shooting 70 class bullets. It's become his #1 chambering for varmint hunters in the area.

Funny how cartridges that have been around for sometime finally just gain popularity!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.