22 CM - 88 GR ELDM Load and TW

Patiently waiting for my action and stock to arrive. I am in the process of building a 22 Creedmoor and want to run the 88 eldms. Anyone running this combo with details on their build and load? Planning on running a Bartlein 3B 1:7tw looks like these come in 4 groove. Thoughts on the twist rate and what velocity I should expect from a 26" tube with a mild load?

Thanks in advance.
Patiently waiting for my action and stock to arrive. I am in the process of building a 22 Creedmoor and want to run the 88 eldms. Anyone running this combo with details on their build and load? Planning on running a Bartlein 3B 1:7tw looks like these come in 4 groove. Thoughts on the twist rate and what velocity I should expect from a 26" tube with a mild load?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to change the twist rate of your barrel if you want to shoot the heavier 88gr Hornady ELD bullets. If you put the specs of the 88gr bullet into the Berger twist rate calculator, the stability analysis shows the: bullet to be marginally stable by 4 %. You may shoot good groups with the 1/7 twist rate, but the BC of the bullet will not be fully optimized. BC will be compromised by 4%. If you want to shoot the heavy bullets, I would move to a 6.5 twist rate to be safe. Here are the bullet specs if you want to check it out:
diameter .224, BC 0.545 G1....0.274 G7, Sectional Density 0.251 and the bullet length is 1.240".

I have 2 of the 22-243's one in 1-8 and also a 1-14. The 1-8 can get to 3600 with the 80gr SMK but is hard on primer pockets. ( was chasing the speed ). Accuracy node was 3460 w/ 80smk. The 1-14 likes the Nosler 55BT at 4000, is hard on coyotes. Good for when the fur is no good. Wished they would've had the 22 Creedmoor back then, it is a good factory replacement for the 22-243. I'm going to build my son that's in the Navy a 22 CM. I think he'll like it, but will go with a 1-8. In my opinion the 22 CM is the best one of the 3

I went with a 28" barrel for my 22 Creedmoor with a 1:8 twist. I was going to shoot the Berger 80.5 Full Bore but, while I was waiting for the barreled action to come back I found some Nosler CC 80 gr. bullets. Now, I have shot the Nosler's before and never had any luck with the. But, I lucked out this time. My barrel really liked them. Things better not change because later I bought 1K of them.

You might want to change the twist rate of your barrel if you want to shoot the heavier 88gr Hornady ELD bullets. If you put the specs of the 88gr bullet into the Berger twist rate calculator, the stability analysis shows the: bullet to be marginally stable by 4 %. You may shoot good groups with the 1/7 twist rate, but the BC of the bullet will not be fully optimized. BC will be compromised by 4%. If you want to shoot the heavy bullets, I would move to a 6.5 twist rate to be safe. Here are the bullet specs if you want to check it out:
diameter .224, BC 0.545 G1....0.274 G7, Sectional Density 0.251 and the bullet length is 1.240".

I don't think I would go 1-7, definitely not 1-6.5. Chances are good the bullets are going to come apart at 22 CM speed. MOST guys running a 22-243/22-243AI/22x47 Lapua are running a 1-8 with bullets like the 75/80 amax. The 1-8 twist in my gun stabilized the 90 vld, but I liked the speed of the amax better so I shoot that. The fast twist 22 cal shooting 75-90 grn bullets is a sweet gun. Coyotes don't like it at all.

Thanks in advance.

26" tube on a creed with 88 eldms should run pretty quick...3300-3350 maybe a little more.

turns out, i'm going to have to neck turn my Alpha brass, loaded round are .255 and .254. Gunsmith says I need to be at .253 just to make sure I have no pressure.

i'm going to order the 21st Century lathe kit, pretty ingenious set up. not quite the PITA as neck turning can be,

I have ran the 22x47 lapua for the past 5 years. I started with a 1-8 twist 24" and ran the 80g vld. Velocity was 3400 with H4350. second barrel was a 1-7 22" and I ran the the 90 grain vld at 3140 with H4350. The third barrel was a 20" 1-7 and I ran the 95 grain Sierra at 3000 fps. Having done both the faster 80 grain and the slower 95 grain I will be going back to the faster, lighter bullet. Reason being, the 80g vld has a broader point blank zero than the others. The heavies did do a little better in the wind, but not enough to make a marginal wind call, a vital hit.
This was used primarily on coyotes, but I did shoot a few deer and an several antelope as well. Barrel life was right at 1300 for all the barrels "bartlein" I used. I would expect similar results from the 22 creedmoor as well. I shoot a .223 with a 75eld at 2950 90% of the time I coyote hunt, the 22x47 was used primarily for coyote derbies.

ha ha thats what I want , just that "one" good one. I'll try yours
I loaded 42.6 H-4350 under the 80.5 Berger Full Bore just to check my neck thickness.
The reamer my smith is using is a little tighter than saami.

rifle wont be done till May, I'm also hunting RL-26, guys are having success with it and the heavy bullets 88's and 90's

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.