Help with 22 Creedmoor load problems

I have a 22 Creedmoor ar-10 with a 22" barrel 1-8. I am having trouble with pushing primers out. Brass is Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor. I was loading 40gr of h4350 and was having good results using Berger 80.5 full bore. pushed them up to 41 grains and lost a primmer so I backed back off to 40gr. Thought that would fix the problem but still lost primers. I now have backed all the way down to 37.5gr. Went out today and shot 5 times and lost 2 primers and have dropped speed down to 3065 fps. I have extractor marks on the 2 cases that lost the primers. (See Attached) I am wondering if someone knows what could be going on?

Attachments

• 0320212123.jpg
    0320212123.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
Did you maybe get some lube in your chamber ? Or is your gas tube partly plugged ? Both can cause this .

I have a 22 Creedmoor ar-10 with a 22" barrel 1-8. I am having trouble with pushing primers out. Brass is Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor. I was loading 40gr of h4350 and was having good results using Berger 80.5 full bore. pushed them up to 41 grains and lost a primmer so I backed back off to 40gr. Thought that would fix the problem but still lost primers. I now have backed all the way down to 37.5gr. Went out today and shot 5 times and lost 2 primers and have dropped speed down to 3065 fps. I have extractor marks on the 2 cases that lost the primers. (See Attached) I am wondering if someone knows what could be going on?
Obvious pressure signs ! Are you getting extractor mark's and flattened primers as well ? Hard bolt lift also is telling you pressure ! Check your loading manual and start at begging load and slowly work up watching for pressure signs after each firing !

are you possibly running Suppressed?
If so take the Suppressor off and retest. If it fixes it then you are too hot on your load to run that setup...common with AR's that are running pressures up around 60,000 PSI which is about where you are.

Last edited:
Are your buffer and buffer spring the right ones for this chambering so you have the dwell time before the bolt starts to eject the fired rounds ?

I am running the JP silent capture. I am not running suppressed right now.
Checked the gas tube and does not seem to be plugged.
So I'm confused. I am down to the recommended starting load and I'm hearing that I'm running to hot? I also am not ejecting all the time. I will catch a half ejected casing every once and a while.

It might be that your gas tube isn't quite lined up with your bolt carrier group then or it might be bent just a little bit . Gas operated have their own set of problems . Take the bolt carrier group out and look at the gas tube to see if it has a rub mark on it any place then clean your chamber real well with a chamber mop using a good solvent . Clean your bolt carrier group well and don't over lube it . Check to see that the bolt locks up as it should when it's out of your bolt carrier and that your head space hasn't gotten loose and that your barrel nut is still tight . clean your locking lugs well check that you don't have any burs ect. on them or your bolt .

If you are reloading make sure that all the case lube is cleaned off of them so they can properly adhere to the chamber walls when firing . I often use alcohol to clean my chamber as it dries fast and leaves no residue that's just me but I don't want any in my chamber

since you're using 6.5 brass necked down to .22 I'm wondering if the neck walls are to thick.
See if a loaded round will go into the chamber, with the gun broken down, no bolt group .. If the round won't chamber freely the neck diameter of a loaded round may exceed the chamber neck diameter.

With primers falling out I'd be exceedingly cautious, especially with an AR.. Catastrophic failure in the making

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.