Pet load for 22-250

jmaars

Well, Ive had Detached Retina surgery on my Right eye this spring, My shooting eye, and cant shoot, But have gotten out reloading equipment from 30 yrs of reloading and started reloading again. Have loaded 3 or 4 K rounds of 9mm, 2- 3 K 45 and now above 2 k 40 sw.
Still working up brass and buying newer goodies for rifles. used to load .243, killing ground hogs at 300 yds, .222 shooting Coyotes, and .270 for deer. I still have those pet loads, and have a lot of rounds loaded for them. I kinda quit loading and shooting for 20 yrs or so. But saw what prices were doing last summer and kinda got me fired up.
I have never had a 22-250 and now have decided to get one. Any recommendations for a pet load would appreciated. I thought I would just load up a few rounds of different recipes and when I can shoot and hopefully have bought a rifle, Kind of looking at a TIKKA, T3x ?? but not definite for now, but will take any recommendations on that as well. Just gives me something I can do until fall when I can shoot again. Thanks

Congratulations for coming back to the game ,sounds like your Very much at ease with reloading ,while I don't have a 22/250 I have reloaded for one and a great friend had a TC/Encore in 15 inch pistol and 24/28 inch barrels ,he liked H380 but I can't remember if it was his favorite,50/55 grain Hornady V/Max or Nosler ballistic tips should work fine ,if you do buy the Tikka/T3 , it might have a faster twist ,and that changes the Ball game ,because you can shoot heavier bullets ,it's a great round,hope you Recover 110% ,cheers 😊

I like 42gr of Varget with 40gr Vmax's
or 40gr of Varget with 50gr Vmax's
If you can find some 53gr Vmax's they have a half decent BC for a 22 cal bullet,and work very well with 40gr of Varget.

Dean

In my experience IMR 4064 and Varget with a 50-53gr bullet has been the best. Both powders end up around 35.0-36.0gr. Start low and work up.

My burned up 22-250 barrel loves Berger 55gr Flat Base Match bullets and H380. I can't remember the charge but it chrono's at 3500 fps. It accounted for a 583 yard chuck this year. That's stretching it though.

BTW check the barrel twist on your rifle, many are 1-14" twist which limits your bullet choices.

You can't go wrong with h380 and Sierra 52 hpbt matchkings. Somewhere around 38.0 grains. I have also had good accuracy with rl-15 with a variety of bullets.

Well, Ive had Detached Retina surgery on my Right eye this spring, My shooting eye, and cant shoot, But have gotten out reloading equipment from 30 yrs of reloading and started reloading again. Have loaded 3 or 4 K rounds of 9mm, 2- 3 K 45 and now above 2 k 40 sw.
Still working up brass and buying newer goodies for rifles. used to load .243, killing ground hogs at 300 yds, .222 shooting Coyotes, and .270 for deer. I still have those pet loads, and have a lot of rounds loaded for them. I kinda quit loading and shooting for 20 yrs or so. But saw what prices were doing last summer and kinda got me fired up.
I have never had a 22-250 and now have decided to get one. Any recommendations for a pet load would appreciated. I thought I would just load up a few rounds of different recipes and when I can shoot and hopefully have bought a rifle, Kind of looking at a TIKKA, T3x ?? but not definite for now, but will take any recommendations on that as well. Just gives me something I can do until fall when I can shoot again. Thanks

First off I hope you get on the mend!

Secondly, the 22/250 is my fav round going. I like one bullet for all from steel, to chucks to deer anteope and elk. I like Varget and a 63 Sierra or 60 Horn either HP or SP for all that moves.

If the rig won't shoot the 63 Sierra and 34 of Varg @ 2.35 the rifle either has some issues and or it's totally freaking stupid! Every T3 I've shot this load in has done sub 1/2" for 3 on demand!

First off I hope you get on the mend!

Secondly, the 22/250 is my fav round going. I like one bullet for all from steel, to chucks to deer anteope and elk. I like Varget and a 63 Sierra or 60 Horn either HP or SP for all that moves.

If the rig won't shoot the 63 Sierra and 34 of Varg @ 2.35 the rifle either has some issues and or it's totally freaking stupid! Every T3 I've shot this load in has done sub 1/2" for 3 on demand!
Thank you sir, I will put in my book