Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I thought I would share my very limited experience with the ELD-X bullets so far. I've been shooting 10 other cartridges but have been wanting a 280 for ages and have been putting it off until recently. It's a box-stock Remington Mountain Rifle (skinny barrel), that I haven't done a thing to (yet), other than lap the barrel and adjust the trigger. Decided to go all new, and got Nosler brass, 162gr ELD-X bullets, IMR7977, and CCI250 primers. So far, I'm getting .5" groups at 100 yards, at an average of 2805fps. I'm hoping it will speed up a little when I get a few more rounds through it, only 65 so far. I haven't tuned seating depth yet, still at 3.330" OAL, which is about .080" off.

I like what I see so far in terms of accuracy potential with these bullets in a factory barrel. Hope I can put one in deer this weekend. If so, I'll post results.

Last edited:
The answer is load development, I have a $325.00 Savage a $8.00 1917 Enfield A $850.00 Savage 111 in 300 win mag with a Knight Force and they all are tack drivers the Enfield barrel will be 100 years old next year and who knows were that barrel has been and to be honest with you I love shooting holes in holes @ 100 or 200 yards next to a guy at the range with a $8000.00 rifle that cant hit a pie plate @ 100 yards . If you don't want to get into load development then I would ask around your area who's good at it and pay them to work you up a nice load for your rifle. You have to give a rifle what it needs not always what you think it needs. I love this website and their are alot of really good guys here that can help you with problems that come up rifles and loads but we would have to write a book here for you to help you with load development it's just to much but I do believe you have a really nice rifle you just need a professional work you up a bad *** load and then that will really put a smile on your face and some meet on the table.gun)

Nicely put and I also believe any weapon in decent shape can shoot, load research and testing is all it takes. THIS SITE HAS AWESOME INFO AND GREAT PEOPLE. Thanks to all who help us in our time of need.

Ok, so I've sent close to 40 rounds of the ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo down the tube of my 6.5 creed. Accuracy is quite exceptional and averaging under 1/2 moa. I must note that the 6.5 creed brass looks great, nice and clean. The brass in the boxes of 7rem mag I bought, eh not so much. They're not banged or anything just a little tarnished looking not sure what that's about but hopefully my 7mm likes them.
I picked up two boxes each in .300wm and .300Rum that I have yet to do any shooting with but now you're making me feel lazy.

I'll do my best to get out and run a few through this week and give my own report.

I am sincerely appreciative of Hornady to going to the trouble to develop the Precision Hunter line and if we expect them to keep running with it we have to buy and shoot it.

I need to break in the new .260's as well so I'm out of excuses since it appears were done with the hundred plus degree wether at least for the next week or ten days.

I did a custom 300 RUM build and wasn't able to get it to group. In fact my factory 300 RUM grouped better. After trying quite a few load combinations, I was about to order a different barrel and pitch my Hart barrel. The I got my hands on a box of 212 ELD's. Right from the get go, I'm shooting 1/2" groups at a 100 yards. I put Nosler LRAB's or Bergers back in it and the groups open up to an inch or better. Throw in some 212's and its back down to a 1/2". Spoke with a long range smith and he said he's given up on the Nosler LRAB's. Funny thing is, my factory RUM consistently shoots 3/4" groups with 180 grn Accubonds.

I cant wait to get a box of the 200gr 300wm ELDX and see what it does to a Caribou.
From what I have read its got better ballistics then the LRAB

The 270 is on the way, but it's not quite that heavy.

They need to be in the 160 gr range at least, I've built dozens of 270 WSM's and everyone has a 9 twist or faster. It's gotta be competitive with the 170 Berger and better than the 150 ALR. There are plenty of vinella 270 bullets already to shoot Hornady needs to step up and push it like everyone else.

I agree with making AT LEAST a 160 gr. bullet. Many of the long range hunters have custom builds, and most have tighter twists. There is no sense in building something that already exists. The people who come up with something that is needed, and does not exist, will be the ones who succeed in a growing market. I realize that MOST factory rifles, especially in 270, have a 10 twist. Perhaps if the bullet manufacturers step up, the rifle builders will realize that there is a sales opportunity for twist options that are designed for heavy for caliber, high b.c., hunting bullets. I believe that the ELDX bullet line will be a success based on my testing them over the last few months. Lets not leave the 270 shooters out of the mix.......Rich

Or just offer 2 bullet options like every other caliber at least has. Have a 150gr for 1:10 twist factory rifles and a 160gr for 1:8 or faster custom barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts