Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I am using Retumbo with the 175 gr ELD-X'S in my 7MM RM, started at 67grs and worked up to 69 without pressure.
I have also used up to 69grs of H1000 with the Berger 180 Hybrids so with that said if I was going to try RL26 with the 175 ELD-X start with 65grs and work up seeing that it looks like it falls in between those 2 powders as far as burn rate is considered.

I am using Retumbo with the 175 gr ELD-X'S in my 7MM RM, started at 67grs and worked up to 69 without pressure.
I have also used up to 69grs of H1000 with the Berger 180 Hybrids so with that said if I was going to try RL26 with the 175 ELD-X start with 65grs and work up seeing that it looks like it falls in between those 2 powders as far as burn rate is considered.

I thought about doing that. R26 is slower than R25 so I figured I could drop down a few grains on the published R25 load.

A nice buck shot in neck and bear shot in chest both with 28 nosler and 162 ELD X the bullets do damage.

Attachments

• 20160904_094200.jpg
    20160904_094200.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 20160911_144743.jpg
    20160911_144743.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 104
Awesome! I am using the same bullet in a 7mm Rem Mag. No kills yet though. Would you think high shoulder shot still or maybe back a little and catch some lung? I'm just looking out for meat loss but then again I don't want to chase a wounded animal around either.

When you guys talk about this "accuracy node", if you get either side of it what are your groups like?

I've just lashed out $8,000.00 on a rifle, chambered in .300 RUM, that's designed to end all my accuracy worries once and for all (throw the cost of the scope on that and you're looking at 13 'large'!) Now, I'm getting between 1 & 1/2 and 2 & 1/2 inches at 100 yards with this thing, using 212 ELD-Xs, 208 A-MAXs!

Whilst I'm not the 'be all and end all' of reloading experts, my experience tells me that there is no magical powder, primer, projectile, velocity, seating depth combination that's gonna knock 1 & 1/4 to 2 & 1/4 inches off a group, at 100 yards, in order to give me the necessary accuracy that's required to shoot animals at 1,500 yards! What are your thoughts?

When you guys talk about this "accuracy node", if you get either side of it what are your groups like?

I've just lashed out $8,000.00 on a rifle, chambered in .300 RUM, that's designed to end all my accuracy worries once and for all (throw the cost of the scope on that and you're looking at 13 'large'!) Now, I'm getting between 1 & 1/2 and 2 & 1/2 inches at 100 yards with this thing, using 212 ELD-Xs, 208 A-MAXs!

Whilst I'm not the 'be all and end all' of reloading experts, my experience tells me that there is no magical powder, primer, projectile, velocity, seating depth combination that's gonna knock 1 & 1/4 to 2 & 1/4 inches off a group, at 100 yards, in order to give me the necessary accuracy that's required to shoot animals at 1,500 yards! What are your thoughts?

About a year and a half go I paid similar money for a rifle but it included the cost of the scope. About three months ago I parted it out and sold the parts. Talk about frustrated.....

Before you part it out, try a bullet with a long bearing surface. Something like the Hornady 225 BTHP.

There are so many things that come into play to get a rifle/bullet combo.
To pay that much and not get instant results is a bitch.
I would try some other bullet/powder combos to see the results.
Maybe also try some factory loaded ammo to see what you get.
This might give you an idea of what to expect.
I don't know who built the rifle for you but they could/should give you some help with your problems.

Have you ever been a sub MOA shooter?

It doesn't matter what you spend on a rig or how you load if you can't drive it.

If I were you I'd be talking to your custom gun maker.

Ok, so I've sent close to 40 rounds of the ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo down the tube of my 6.5 creed. Accuracy is quite exceptional and averaging under 1/2 moa. I must note that the 6.5 creed brass looks great, nice and clean. The brass in the boxes of 7rem mag I bought, eh not so much. They're not banged or anything just a little tarnished looking not sure what that's about but hopefully my 7mm likes them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts