Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Aaron, shooting a 7mm rem mag do you feel that the 175 is better than the 162 for any reason? Does the higher BC overcome the extra weight? Gonna try both but am thinking the 175 will perform better overall assuming my gun can shoot them accurately.

For us guys that are pushing the boundaries of terminal performance. We see real value in the improvements Hornady has made with the ELD-X bullet. Frankly, if you are shooting inside 400-500 yards, the choice of bullet is mostly personal preference. If you are planning on taking game at extended ranges, it is imperative that you understand wound theory and terminal bullet performance characteristics. With that understanding, you should gravitate to the ELD-X bullet or other similar offerings on the market.

I see your point , and I really wanted the eld to work for me but it didn't and Im pouting a little because they did not and i really wanted them to shine for me .
But reading the other posts that you don't even have the eld yet how can you say that they are going to surpass all other bullets ? Maybe you guys had a test run I don't know. But if I was sponsored by a certain company I would say they are the new revolution as well.

I see your point , and I really wanted the eld to work for me but it didn't and Im pouting a little because they did not and i really wanted them to shine for me .
But reading the other posts that you don't even have the eld yet how can you say that they are going to surpass all other bullets ? Maybe you guys had a test run I don't know. But if I was sponsored by a certain company I would say they are the new revolution as well.
I say use whatever shoots best for you. Maybe it wasn't the bullet but components and powder choices. Hornady is a old company that puts a lot of research and development in products, and having Gunwerks do some testing for them, only shows they are doing extensive testing with the right customer base. I have no reason to believe they won't perform as advertised.... I'm only posting this, because I have seen bullet threads derail quickly, because of someone being a fan of other bullet companies. If they didn't work for you, maybe it's time to move on. Let us continue the conversation and test for ourselves, to see if they work or not.

I just called Cabelas and ordered 8 boxes. They will not receive them from Hornady until April 24-26th. Then they will be shipping bullets out. gun)

so much for their "in stock" on the website... might they just be out of the batch they have posted as in stock though? I got mid month delivery from the site when I ordered last night...

I ordered 2 boxes of 7mm 175 on 4-1 at 8am and have a delivery data next Wednesday. I bet the first batch was sold out within hours.

Does anyone have a good starting point for the 175 eld-x? My latest hornady book doesn't have it and don't really want to buy a new book just for one load. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Same here. I already had 500- 175s on order from Graf & Sons, but ordered 300 more from Cabelas. Showed in stock, but by time I checked out, showed 4 weeks.

brewski86

What are you shooting? 7mm Rem Mag? 28 Nosler?

I fired some 175 ABLRs for a burn rate test in my 28 Nosler in anticipation of getting the 175 Hornady ELD-Xs. The ABLRs are similar bullets to the ELDXs in terms of BC so I though they might make a pretty good stand in. 88 grains of US869 drives the ABLRs at an average velocity of 3,073 fps (26" Krieger barrel, 1 in 8 twist). When I get the Hornady 175s I will load a ladder either side of that number and see how they shoot.

If you want to do the same check Nosler data on the 175 ABLRs for whatever chambering you are using. Should be a decent starting point.

I am currently shooting 71.0 grains of Retumbo with a Berger 180. Coal is 2.693. It shoots sub .5moa from 2.690 to 2.700. I have a buddy with same gun built a month apart and the chambers were built identical and the loads are identical. They also shoot near identical. Fed 215 primer. I would hope to see somewhere between 70-72 grains Retumbo with the 175 ELDX. The Berger 180's are running 3078-3082 down the brux 26" tubes. Magneto speed and oehler verified. If the Retumbo charge doesnt work well I will go back to my old reliable H1000 load. I was shooting 69.7 h1000 with 215 fed primer. I was .003 off lands and as much as .025 off lands. Its a bit more better @ .025 off lands in both guns. This load was running 2988 fps out of same gun. If Eldx likes 69-71 this would get a guy 3000 fps and hopefully shoot as well as Bergers. Both loads I described are real close to psi just under so tread lightly with your own weapons.

Engineering101, I am shooting a 7mm Rem Mag, 27" Douglas barrel. I have tried some 168 ABLR with ok results and I bought some 175 that I will load up and compare to the ELD-X.

LrT307, I have been shooting the Berger 180 using Retumbo at 70g. .001 off lands. This has been good load but I think I might try the IMR 7977. It looks like the burn rate falls between the Retumbo and H1000.

I found that the ABLR like a bigger jump off the lands then the Bergers, I wonder if that will be the same with the ELD-x?

Engineering101, I am shooting a 7mm Rem Mag, 27" Douglas barrel. I have tried some 168 ABLR with ok results and I bought some 175 that I will load up and compare to the ELD-X.

LrT307, I have been shooting the Berger 180 using Retumbo at 70g. .001 off lands. This has been good load but I think I might try the IMR 7977. It looks like the burn rate falls between the Retumbo and H1000.

I found that the ABLR like a bigger jump off the lands then the Bergers, I wonder if that will be the same with the ELD-x?

How is the Temp stability of the IMR 7977?

It is not affected by temp. It is as stable as Retumbo. I talked to the guy at best of the west that is doing the reloading and said they are have good results so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.