hornady 200 eld-x or berger 185 classic 300 wsm

buster2765

Starting load development on new savage bear hunter. First ladder test with 200 elds up to 67gn 4831sc gave me 2755fps with new bras and no pressure sign. Very little room in case for more powder though. Have not did a ladder for the bergers yet. Looking for best combo for long range hunting under 1000yds. Have plenty of both so could go either way. Your thoughts

Bullets (pills) are kind of like motor oil. Everyone has their favorite and that favorite is the best (in their opinion) but maybe not my opinion. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one. Some stink and some don't.

I am using 65 grains of H4831sc, 210M primers, .020 off the lands, with the 215 Hybrids going 2770. Shot great out to 1,600 yards.

One thing I never do is post any load on any forum. Reason being is, one, just because it works for you don't mean it will work for someone else, two, someone uses your load and it blows up there could be a liability issue and three, every rifle jumps differently because no 2 chambers are like. Chambers are like fingerprints, everyone is different.

My loading stay with me. Might put them on a dope sheet in the cartridge box but that's it.

When someone asks me what I load to and for, my comment always is, buy the loading handbook for your pill and start with that. Those loads have been tested with proper machines and are safe. Yours and mine may not be (safe) for others.

One thing I never do is post any load on any forum. Reason being is, one, just because it works for you don't mean it will work for someone else, two, someone uses your load and it blows up there could be a liability issue and three, every rifle jumps differently because no 2 chambers are like. Chambers are like fingerprints, everyone is different.

My loading stay with me. Might put them on a dope sheet in the cartridge box but that's it.

When someone asks me what I load to and for, my comment always is, buy the loading handbook for your pill and start with that. Those loads have been tested with proper machines and are safe. Yours and mine may not be (safe) for others.
Thanks for the advice. You bring up some great points.

You might want to try RL-17. I ironically ended up with the same load that Hornday first published when they released the 200 gr ELDX. 62.8 gr of RL-17. I get a nice clover leaf group at 2952 fps

let me start by saying i DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE ISSUE IS,
but i am having pressure issues with 17 in my 300 wsm. fine one day, not the next and the next was cooler.
i have actually set the rifle aside for a while..no clue( and that is unusual)

+1 on RL-17. My 300WSM liked it at 2910 fps. Sub MOA easily.

let me start by saying i DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE ISSUE IS,
but i am having pressure issues with 17 in my 300 wsm. fine one day, not the next and the next was cooler.
i have actually set the rifle aside for a while..no clue( and that is unusual)
Sometimes the rifle just doesn't like what you want to feed it.
I'm having the same issue with a brand new barrel on my 6.5-284 Norma and Retumbo. Fine one day, sticky bolt then next. Groups are ragged little holes with or without pressure signs. I just switched powders. Bums me out since Retumbo shot so well in the old barrel and I have a lot of it

You might want to try RL-17. I ironically ended up with the same load that Hornday first published when they released the 200 gr ELDX. 62.8 gr of RL-17. I get a nice clover leaf group at 2952 fps
4831sc is my go to powder for short mag cartridges & have great results with it in the past, but this is a much shorter barrel than I am use to shooting. What is your barrel length your getting that velocity with.

4831sc is my go to powder for short mag cartridges & have great results with it in the past, but this is a much shorter barrel than I am use to shooting. What is your barrel length your getting that velocity with.
I have a Sako 75, so the barrel is 24 3/8" in length. RL-17 was developed for short mag cartridges and gives you more velocity. It's in the burn rate of 4350 powders.
This combo destroyed a nice NM bull in 2017

My experience with both bullets but in different caliber than your looking at is the Berger is going to be more fragmenting. They really kill good but they do damage more meat than the ELDX. Berger in my experience react the same at 100-600yds (further-est I shot anything with the classics).

ELDX in 7mm performed great at 600 yards. They come apart more at close range than they do at long, definitely noticed a difference.

Both have performed flawlessly on game and I have no complaints about either one.

Go with what shoots best in your gun, can't go wrong with either IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.