Hodgdon vs IMR

Clay Target Guy

I am trying to work up a good hunting load for my 270 Win using 130 gr bullets. I have read a lot about the extreme powders that Hodgdon has and in my short load development, my gun like IMR 4831 better than H4831.
My questions is, am I at a big disadvantage using IMR over H powders? I guess to really muddy the water I will also throw the Reloader powders in the mix as well.

Thanks in advance.

IMR powders are excellent powders. My main 2 powders are Hodgdon Varger, and IMR 7828 SSC. I feel there is absolutely NO disadvantage to IMR powders. They are great powders.

I don't like the Alliant Reloder powders. I have a bunch of it, but I use it for fire-forming brass now, becuase in my experiences, neither 19 or 22 are temp stable.

I also had issues with H1000 not being temp stable, as well, which is why I don't use it anymore, either, unless it's wintertime, which is the only time I have found it capable of being stable. In the summer here in Alabama it fluctuates too much for it to be stable.

I use both, no adverse issues. If you have both you could always do your own testing. Other than that I'd pick one & go forward.

fill her up to book spec's (work it up of course) with 4350, 4831, or rl22 and let her rip. I burn more rl than any other powder with my favorites being rl22, rl25, and rl33... rl17 burns about like 4350 and I'll burn that too with a 270. Basically the 270 doesn't care the powder as long as you are 4350 burn rate or slower ('till you start getting seriously compressed loads) and use decent data to work up your load. Your rifle will tell you when she's happy with the groups she makes.

So im getting the IMR powders are temp stable?

What about rl22, rl25 and rl17?

Everything im loading now is Hodgdon powder, but I hear a lot about the IMR powders. If there temp stable I would like to try them. They seem to push faster velocities then H powders.

Hodgdon does marked the temp stability with the 'Extreme' powders. I think there is something to it compared to some other powders. After reading a handful of articles in 'Reloader Magazine' and others, some powders definitely change with temps.

Some of this can be more an issue for the warm weather varmint hunter or target shooter. For the average big game hunter I think it's much less of an issue. One exception may be if doing work-ups in the heat of the Summer. Beyond that most hunting is done in cool to cold temps.

It's also another reason to leave some margin at the top of the powder charge. You could have loads developed in the cold that may be a little much at hot temps.

It's something to keep in mind, but I wouldn't dwell on the issue. Reloader 15 is often mentioned as being temp sensitive, but it's still a great powder with a strong following. Then many have moved on to Varget in that burn area, or others.

There are just certain times where you need a certain powder for a certain performance without jumping to a bigger cartridge. With my 35 whelen the powder is rl15; any other powder is 100-150 fps slower in my rifle. Same thing with my 300rum and 225 grain bullets with rl33... In my 7rum retumbo seems to be a racehorse. I don't discount using any powder totally but I will shy toward double base over single base as double base has a bit more energy per grain.
Until they invent a temp. stable rifle, a temp. stable bullet, and a temp. stable shooter I won't be too worried about using temp. stable powder every time I wiggle the trigger. There are too many variables to eliminate one and say "we're good" and wash our hands of any need to account for variables.

+1

I like Bruce Hodgdon's products but they aren't a 'do all' propellant.

Sort of like I prefer Federal primers but I use CCI's in some instances.

+1

I like Bruce Hodgdon's products but they aren't a 'do all' propellant.

Sort of like I prefer Federal primers but I use CCI's in some instances.
I'll touch cci once in a while but they are rather dirty burning so I stay to fed and win with a bit of rem for the most part. I burn enough powder that I don't need the added fouling of a dirty primer in the mix.

Back to powder,

I strongly advise not using IMR4831....

I'M having a hard time keeping myself stocked up in it and don't want the competition.:D

I use H powder, I powder and A powder. I have others but have not tried them yet.

H for most accuracy loads. Very temp stable.
I for lots of the long magnum hunting loads. 7828 seems to be fine in my limited world.
A for light for caliber loads. R-17 is really the only one that works for me at the moment. The others varied to much in the chambering I tried. AR-Comp runs my gas+piston very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.