Barnes vs. Hornady vs. Quickload vs. Hodgdon

Footsie80

Hi All,

I apologize if these questions have been posed before, but I couldn't find a thread similar.

Finally found some IMR 4064, which Barnes recommends for the 168gn TTSX for a 30-06. I'm getting started on working up a load, but I'm getting conflicting information from all the references in the subject line. For example, Barnes lists the range as 46.5 to 50gn. Hornady manual (different projectile, same weight) lists 42.4 to 51.9. Quickload says 43.5 to 48.3 (without going into dangerous load territory) and Hodgdon website (different projectile, same weight) says 47 to 50.8. I don't know who I should heed. For example, the Hornady, Hodgdon and Barnes max loads are well into dangerous territory according to Quickload. Quickload and Hornady also have extremely conservative starting points in comparison.

This is only my second batch and I plan on working it up concurrent with an otherwise same configuration - but with Hybrid 100V that I loaded earlier in the week. I know I should just work up gradually until I'm happy with accuracy, but what should I use as a starting point? What if no pressure signs are apparent as I reach the top end?

Thanks in advance.

If its a barnes bullet, Id use barnes data. Quickload is just a prediction. Just start on the low side and work up. Did you use 6500 psi for the start pressure for barnes in QL?

If its a barnes bullet, Id use barnes data. Quickload is just a prediction. Just start on the low side and work up. Did you use 6500 psi for the start pressure for barnes in QL?
No, just what ever was defaulted when I selected the powder. It was 3751 psi initially. Just tried changing it for reference after reading your post and it brought the max charge up, but dropped relative velocity.

Recent Posts