What to use, whidden vs hornady vs redding vs forster vs "?" dies

"I always check fired unsized cases on a new barrel for runout." How do you do this, with a device like a Sinclair concentricity tool on a piece of brass that was fired in your rifle chamber? I hope that some of these questions do not seem like they are stupid, it's just that a whole lot of this information is new territory for some of us. Thanks

Just turn an empty fires case in the holder and measure on the case neck, then shoulder.
All case runout gauges will measure the case except for that piece of junk Hornady makes. The Hornady needs a bullet and holds the bullet by the tip. That is not the proper way to check runout. Those engineers at Hornady are clueless

Just turn an empty fires case in the holder and measure on the case neck, then shoulder.
All case runout gauges will measure the case except for that piece of junk Hornady makes. The Hornady needs a bullet and holds the bullet by the tip. That is not the proper way to check runout. Those engineers at Hornady are clueless

Unfortunately I have one of those pieces of junk from Hornady.:mad::D Sometimes we have to buy the wrong stuff before we figure out what the good stuff is supposed to look like and supposed to do. I've corrected only 10 cases with the Hornady, Lock and Load concentricity checking tool. I've already had to replace the jacking screw after ten cases. My next purchase probably will be the Sinclair concentricity tool

I have the forster press and the forster dies, some times I check runout with the century 21st con. tool and I get mora than .5 thousands !!! And other rounds barely move the dial.

evrything the same: dies, press, brass, gun, wilson trimmer, etc..

Just don't understand why..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts