High BC hunting bullets for 22" barrel 30-06

375rifleman

Hello, I was wondering which bullet I should use for my 22" barrel 30-06 for hunting ? Barnes and other copper bullets have great weight retention and penetration so you don't have to use as heavy bullets, however Berger, Cutting Edge Bullets and other target emphasized bullet makers have higher BC so there is less drop, muzzle, velocity, and energy degration. The next thoughts is that with a 22" barrel muzzle velocity will be reduced compared to longer barrel lengths as well as being a 30-06 eventually bullet weights unless BC is outstanding it's not worth the velocity loss. Thanks in advance for for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

Hello, I was wondering which bullet I should use for my 22" barrel 30-06 for hunting ? Barnes and other copper bullets have great weight retention and penetration so you don't have to use as heavy bullets, however Berger, Cutting Edge Bullets and other target emphasized bullet makers have higher BC so there is less drop, muzzle, velocity, and energy degration. The next thoughts is that with a 22" barrel muzzle velocity will be reduced compared to longer barrel lengths as well as being a 30-06 eventually bullet weights unless BC is outstanding it's not worth the velocity loss. Thanks in advance for for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

What ranges do you plan on hunting at? You will lose about 50-100fps compared to a 24-26" barrels. I have a .270 Win and get the same speed with a 22" barrel as some get with a 26" barrel. So every rifle is different.

If I was going to set up a 30-06 for hunting at longer ranges.
I would use Reloader 17 and maybe the 200 grain ELD X.
If you could get the 178 ELD X bullet to 2800 fps or more, it would get you to any range that anyone has any business shooting at game with a 30-06...

I have killed deer with Berger 155 Hunting VLD bullets out of a 30x47 with 2650 fps muzzle velocity between 100 and 300 yards so far with no problem. Blows baseball size exit holes and makes soup out of the vitals. This bullet shoots flatter than any other bullet I have tried in the weight class. You should have no problem getting this bullet moving at least 2900 fps or the 168s to 2800+ fps with IMR 4064 or one of the 4350s. Between 51 & 52 grs IMR 4064 has always shot great with 150/55 gr bullets in the 06 for me.

I have shot berger classic hunters in 168 and 185 with great results. Also the ELD's and Interlocks shoot very well in mine. So did the Nosler ballistic tips. You will loose some velocity with the 22 inch barrel but you won't know how much until you shoot it as all barrels are different. Good luck!

181g Hammer Hunter with 55g IMR4350, wlrm primer, at 2830fps. Browning a-bolt 22" barrel. Work up.

Steve

I'm looking for a bullet and load to use for everything from whitetail to elk or moose. After I find a good load I can just duplicate it knowing exactly what it does at different ranges. I don't understand people who use different bullets for every season, as they would almost have to guess what it will do at different ranges.

If you are only going to use one bullet for everything I would take a long look at the 180 gr Nosler Accubond pushed with one of the 4350s. You are talking a compromise with only one bullet. The 180 AB is a little tough for whitetail and a little light for moose but since you are set on one bullet it would be my choice. It flies like the ballistic tip and starts to open up like it but holds together like the partition and keeps on trucking through things.

The bullet that you are most comfortable with is the right bullet for everything. There is nothing wrong with one bullet for all your hunting. I was just part of a hunt with a young man who took a whitetail buck at 400y with my 338 Lap imp using a 285g bullet. It did not seem heavy for the task. Took out the lungs with no meat damage and the buck did not take a step. Just had a customer that prefers his 270 win for everything. It is a 10" twist so it is not able to run a very heavy bullet. He went with the 117g Hammer Hunter. He had a coveted bull tag in the Missouri Breaks in MT. He took his 300 class 6pt bull at 550y with one shot. Bull dropped where he stood. Couple days later the took a very nice mule deer buck at 350y facing him. Shot him through the big shoulder bone took out the heart and lungs and recovered the bullet in the flank. Buck took a couple of steps.

I can keep going, but I don't think it necessary. My point is you can certainly use one rifle with one load for everything on the North American continent. Use a quality bullet and you will be fine.

Steve

Long time Pal Harold has taken many Moose, Elk, Mountain Black Bears all with his 1 rifle.

30/06 with factory 180 Hornady's, his pops shot Winchester back in the day since this was the only ammunition available up here in Western Canada.

Most harvest were 40 too just under 200 yards, others beyond the 500 + mark.

Harold never got a chance too go to the National Full Bore competitions around the world too compete free hand class,,, but given the chance he might of placed close to C Ganter at 200th spot out of the 1600.

Very good results with today's new bullets on the market, 165's, 168's, 178's and 180's along with 190's and 200's.

Find the bullet for your 30/06 as it will fill your needs up close or at distance.

I'm soon too switch too Odd-6 running Speer 180's.

Critters up close don't like them, and Elk past the 500 + mark hate them too. The big white tails bucks up here are large like the Thick Skins. Nothing wrong with stopping them in there tracks.

Nosler Partitions 180's are my second pick.

Don

PS: Find the bullet that allows your rifle too shot consistent is a plus.

If you can find this book, One Man One Rifle One Land by J Y Jones. It's a true documentary about a man that hunted every large game animal in North America with a Rem. wood stock ADL 30/06, 22 inch barrel and just about all but the very large bears he used 180 gr. bullets.
It's not always about the rifle and bullet it is about the man behind the trigger.

If you are only going to use one bullet for everything I would take a long look at the 180 gr Nosler Accubond pushed with one of the 4350s. You are talking a compromise with only one bullet. The 180 AB is a little tough for whitetail and a little light for moose but since you are set on one bullet it would be my choice. It flies like the ballistic tip and starts to open up like it but holds together like the partition and keeps on trucking through things.

Do a custom search on the top right hand corner on "Montanamarine's" posts about 215/230 Bergers on .308 Win and .30-06.

Hey Uncle Steve....what Hammer weight do you suggest for the 30-06 with 10" twist, 22" barrel? (How's my .358 Hammer coming along? :))

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.