High BC 30 cal offerings

Boozer

Hi all-

My rifle is a Rem 700 in 30-06 that has been rebarreled with a bartlien 1:10 @26", and has had the action trued by GA precision here in good ol KC. It has magpul hunter 700 stock that I have bedded with Devcon, and wears a vortex HS-T 4x16. Based on all this, I have every reason to believe I ought to be able to find a load that groups at or around 1/2" at 100 yards

I have been running the 185gr HBN coated Berger classic hunters with 57.2 gr of H4350 and CCI BR primers. With this load I have found awesome velocity node, with high single digit SD, and low teens ES, but I still struggle with groupings. Best I can usually manage is around 1" maybe 3/4" at 100yds. I've played with seating depths, and I'm beginning to wonder if I just need to try a new bullet. I would like to stay with H4350, cause it's pretty awesome stuff.

I was considering either th 178gr or 208 gr hornady ELD-X's, or the new 195gr TMK's, or the new 180 gr Berger elite hunters. The eld-x's are particularly appealing based on their high BC's and low cost. The Berger elite hunters (while tempting) are basically twice the cost. Looking to stick with a high BC HUNTiNG bullet. I'm not just punching paper with these.

I know there's been some threads regarding the ELD-X's, and it seems like a lot of the older info is that folks are having a hard time getting them to group, but this is when they were brand new to the market and folks hadn't had much time with them yet. Is anyone having success? I know the tmk's will likely be crazy consistent, as is the case with anything Sierra. I have little kiddos and my range time and $$ is precious, so I just don't have the time to test lots of different options.

Thanks for the help!

Hi all-

My rifle is a Rem 700 in 30-06 that has been rebarreled with a bartlien 1:10 @26", and has had the action trued by GA precision here in good ol KC. It has magpul hunter 700 stock that I have bedded with Devcon, and wears a vortex HS-T 4x16. Based on all this, I have every reason to believe I ought to be able to find a load that groups at or around 1/2" at 100 yards

I have been running the 185gr HBN coated Berger classic hunters with 57.2 gr of H4350 and CCI BR primers. With this load I have found awesome velocity node, with high single digit SD, and low teens ES, but I still struggle with groupings. Best I can usually manage is around 1" maybe 3/4" at 100yds. I've played with seating depths, and I'm beginning to wonder if I just need to try a new bullet. I would like to stay with H4350, cause it's pretty awesome stuff.

I was considering either th 178gr or 208 gr hornady ELD-X's, or the new 195gr TMK's, or the new 180 gr Berger elite hunters. The eld-x's are particularly appealing based on their high BC's and low cost. The Berger elite hunters (while tempting) are basically twice the cost. Looking to stick with a high BC HUNTiNG bullet. I'm not just punching paper with these.

I know there's been some threads regarding the ELD-X's, and it seems like a lot of the older info is that folks are having a hard time getting them to group, but this is when they were brand new to the market and folks hadn't had much time with them yet. Is anyone having success? I know the tmk's will likely be crazy consistent, as is the case with anything Sierra. I have little kiddos and my range time and $$ is precious, so I just don't have the time to test lots of different options.

Thanks for the help!

ES & SD are not the be all and end all of good groups, I have some short range (300-600) loads that show an ES over 100fps, but, produce itty bitty 3/8 MoA at this range, beyond that, they open due to velocity spread.

I used the Berger 210gr VLD for comp shooting for some time, until my supply dwindled and I couldn't source any more. I have some 215 Hybrids here, but, no point testing them when I can't get more.

I find many bullets don't like a particular powder, switching powder is often all that's needed to find good groups, but, before I switch powders I will try different primers with the same charges and see if it improves, then I will try a different powder if no improvement is found.

I tried the 208 Amax in my 300 comp rifle, the results weren't very good, the 200gr Accubond actually grouped tighter and flew flatter according to my ballistics program.

Cheers.
gun)

Edit to add: Just realised it's a 30-06, ignore my powder choices, I apologise for misreading your post.
I deleted the powder recommendations.

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback guys. I do realize that low ES/SD and tiny groups don't necessarily go together at short range, but they are paramount for long range groups. I have heard good things about the 215 hybrids, and they are on my short list. My trouble with the bergers is that so many have had inconsistent results on game, and they are $20 more per 100 than the eldx's. I guess when it comes down to it I'd pay the difference if they shot great, but it would be even better if I could get the less expensive bullets to do well. I do realize that most people try switching powder before switching bullets, but I like the powder a lot, and there are much higher BC offerings then the 185 Berger classic hunter, so it would gets voted off the island first.

I appreciate the feedback guys. I do realize that low ES/SD and tiny groups don't necessarily go together at short range, but they are paramount for long range groups. I have heard good things about the 215 hybrids, and they are on my short list. My trouble with the bergers is that so many have had inconsistent results on game, and they are $20 more per 100 than the eldx's. I guess when it comes down to it I'd pay the difference if they shot great, but it would be even better if I could get the less expensive bullets to do well. I do realize that most people try switching powder before switching bullets, but I like the powder a lot, and there are much higher BC offerings then the 185 Berger classic hunter, so it would gets voted off the island first.
As I stated, try a different primer with the SAME LOADS.
There will be an improvement with at least one brand, I guarantee it.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.