.30 cal bullet bc .942!!!!!!

Not sure I'm following you here, but that sounds like it might be an answer more in need of Bryan's talents, and beyond my area of expertise. How's that for a truly Clintonian dodge?

Are you talking about the ogival surface actually providing some degree of lift here, and altering the drop?

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

Not sure I'm following you here, but that sounds like it might be an answer more in need of Bryan's talents, and beyond my area of expertise. How's that for a truly Clintonian dodge?

Are you talking about the ogival surface actually providing some degree of lift here, and altering the drop?

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

Hard to explain, easy to see.

Take a piece of paper, fold corner to corner, but overlap so that there is a "swallowtail". Then take the long front and fold it back on itself 2 or 3 or 4 times. Now take the long ends and bring together, forming a hoop with a swallowtail. Tape or glue the long ends together smoothly. Hold the swallowtail and fip the ring away from you. See how it glides?

Take a bullet, drill through it, giving you a hollow pipe. Then form a thicker leading edge, will that cause lift?

Will it then decrease drop? You use a semi-sabot or something that will fall off the rear after it is fired to open the loop. Not real effective for shooting bad guys, but maybe very effective for shooting paper!

You gotta remember they are turned copper bullets that require a 1-8" twist...they better be over .6! While I don't know if they are .942, they are very pointy and sleek, I don't think it's fair to say "well Berger doesn't have anything that high" when the Bergers are a jacketed lead bullet. The website says it will be 20% longer than a comparable bullet weight, if I added 20% of length to a 208 Amax it would certainly boost the BC a fair bit, and it's already .648.

Again, I have no clue as to the actual BC of the bullet, but my guess is it is at least .7+

While the bullet may indeed be longer it is still relatively light in weight. Mass is also a part of a bullets BC and it takes both Mass as well as an aerodynamic design to achieve high BC values

Hard to explain, easy to see.

Take a piece of paper, fold corner to corner, but overlap so that there is a "swallowtail". Then take the long front and fold it back on itself 2 or 3 or 4 times. Now take the long ends and bring together, forming a hoop with a swallowtail. Tape or glue the long ends together smoothly. Hold the swallowtail and fip the ring away from you. See how it glides?

Take a bullet, drill through it, giving you a hollow pipe. Then form a thicker leading edge, will that cause lift?

Will it then decrease drop? You use a semi-sabot or something that will fall off the rear after it is fired to open the loop. Not real effective for shooting bad guys, but maybe very effective for shooting paper!
I would think with lift pushing in all directions it would either deform the bullet at high velocity or cause very erratic bullet flight.
Im not saying it's not possable but i don't think it's likely! just my 2 cents:)

Lift is caused by a pressure difference between the upper and lower surface of the "wing". The wing has a cambered shape that results in greater surface area on the upper side of the wing which results in a longer path for the air molecules to travel accross the upper surface of the wing, which in turn creates more space between the air molecules, which in turn creats a lower pressure above the wing.

A bullet, tubular or otherwise, can not create lift because it doesn't have the properties of a wing. The shape is constant below and above the bullet resulting in the same flow of air all around the bullet. No pressure difference.

We can all sit around and speculate, but the proof will be or not be in the pudding. Loading them up and shooting them through our barrels will show just what their BC is or isn't.

I also plan on testing the .308 177 HV's in my RUM with a 10 twist. The twist is on the slow side for the bullet, but if I can achieve 3500 - 3600 fps from them I think they may work.

Another attractive thing about these bullets is they can be driven at higher velocities with acceptable pressures. As in 100-200 fps faster.

In the other thread, Gerard said he was currently busy testing the SP (target) line, including testing them on game. He said after he was finished with that he would look into LR hunting development.

Here's the other thread...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/gs-moly-coated-bullets-37903/

I've seen nothing on GS since the another thread was closed (might have missed something new).

I'd like to resurrect this one, as I'm wondering if anyone has managed to test the "newer" designs and what they have found regarding accuracy and BC. And particularly advertised BC.

I saw in some posts that guys had purchased some and were going to try them out. That's more than a year ago and was hoping someone would share what they found.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.