Looking for high G7 BC bullets in a 7mm...................lead free

LiveToHunt7

Morning folks,

As I have begun loading for my rifle, my eyes have started to drift towards something else. Based on a conversation with a good friend, I have narrowed down my bullet choice to the 7mm for its ballistics. The issue that I find is that living in good ol' Kommifornia, I can only shoot lead free hunting ammo. Looking at 180+ grains for a heavy load and around 140+ for a light load.

The best I've found is the Cutting Edge 185gr Lazer bullets with a G7 of .370. At a cost of about $1.75 a round, that also seems pricey.

If you have any input, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you.

I have been using Barnes 168G lrx with great results on central Ca. Hogs, which 7mm are you shooting?

Nice, You have to be careful with the copper bullets they build pressure easily, I have a 28 Nosler And had no luck with any powder until I tried Vhitavouri N570 that was the magic for me

Monos have a much longer bearing surface than cup/core, so for example, loading a 149gr mono, you need to treat it like loading for a 175 cup/core.
My experience thus far is that all manufacturers will provide example loadings. Since you are going with a Sherman, you'll probably need to consult with them and other Sherman shooters here for recommended load starting points.

You also need faster twist rates for proper stabilization.
Plenty of excellent bullets out there from a small number of manufacturers. You can read G values.
If you need a list of lead free manufacturers, look on the Olympic NP goat culling website. They have a list of lead free ammo and component manufacturers.

Going to check out that website. I'm real interested in shooting the 195 Bergers (even though I can't hunt with them in CA). Which I believe will be fine with a 1:8. The Cutting Edge though ask for a 1:7 twist.

LTH, I think we actually know each other. If you've ever seen either of these close up, we definitely know each other.
img_2560.jpg

Anyway, I have a box of 50 130gr Cutting Edge projos I won at the last Avenal match that I'll probably not use for a really long time that you're welcome to just have ($60 savings!). BC isn't spectacular at .450 G1 (which is the minimum for me to classify a projectile as suitable for long range) but for 130's that's actually pretty good. You can drive the living snot out of them; ~3300fps from a 7RM, and they'll definitely kill anything that bleeds and breathes in Kommiefornia. If nothing else you'll save the 60 bucks of cost for the privilege of trying out some CEB monometals or maybe trade them with another local for a box of 145's which have a .495 G1 which would be optimium as far as long range performance. You can make the CEB 155's touch 3000fps but that .045 BC difference is going to be ever so slightly surpassed by the 300+fps difference in MV in terms of drop.

I am extremely doubtful that you'll be able to drive the CEB 185's to a high enough speed to make all the extra BC useful and they require a 7 twist pipe! Anything heavier from CEB than a 155 will need a non-standard twist. Doing some back of the napkin math, it looks to me like you'd have so much velocity penalty from the 185's that the 130's would do just as well as far as drop and remaining velocity with only a slight energy edge to the heavies.

LMK if you want the projos. We can meet up at the next match or you can buy me lunch somewhere in Tracy.

LTH, I think we actually know each other. If you've ever seen either of these close up, we definitely know each other.
View attachment 199687

Anyway, I have a box of 50 130gr Cutting Edge projos I won at the last Avenal match that I'll probably not use for a really long time that you're welcome to just have ($60 savings!). BC isn't spectacular at .450 G1 (which is the minimum for me to classify a projectile as suitable for long range) but for 130's that's actually pretty good. You can drive the living snot out of them; ~3300fps from a 7RM, and they'll definitely kill anything that bleeds and breathes in Kommiefornia. If nothing else you'll save the 60 bucks of cost for the privilege of trying out some CEB monometals or maybe trade them with another local for a box of 145's which have a .495 G1 which would be optimium as far as long range performance. You can make the CEB 155's touch 3000fps but that .045 BC difference is going to be ever so slightly surpassed by the 300+fps difference in MV in terms of drop.

I am extremely doubtful that you'll be able to drive the CEB 185's to a high enough speed to make all the extra BC useful and they require a 7 twist pipe! Anything heavier from CEB than a 155 will need a non-standard twist. Doing some back of the napkin math, it looks to me like you'd have so much velocity penalty from the 185's that the 130's would do just as well as far as drop and remaining velocity with only a slight energy edge to the heavies.

LMK if you want the projos. We can meet up at the next match or you can buy me lunch somewhere in Tracy.

Hey BG,

Not sure that we've ever met, I'm completely new this whole game. I do live in Oakdale and noticed you mentioned Tracy. Are you from around here? Also looking to get with guys to shoot with every once in a while. The only ranges I know of around here are Manteca sportsman's and Lodi range but those aren't LD by any means. I'm going to be shooting blm land or usfs land as I'm primarily a hunter.

Also, tried sending you a PM but it wouldn't let me.

Thank you.

Patriot valley arms has a 170 Cayuga with a g7 of .375. I have some just haven't Shot them yet. Waiting on my new barrel.

Okay so I've done a ton of research and am doing a 7 Max with a 22in barrel. I'm going to run the new Badlands 145gr BDG2. Have some on the way. It's a copper bullet and has a .62 bc! Out of a 22in barrel you can plan to get 3300-3400. They aren't on his website.

Attachments

• ED3403E7-888F-432B-B90E-EA75CEBFE8CF.png
    ED3403E7-888F-432B-B90E-EA75CEBFE8CF.png
    344.3 KB · Views: 198
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.