Help with primers for a 300 win mag

Hi all,

like most of you, I am having trouble finding primers of any type. I recently purchased a new Bergara 14 Wilderness in 300 Win Mag. I have been loading a variety of bullets using Federal 215 Match Large Magnum Primers and have had excellent results. I am now down to less than 225 primers. I have found a source for CCI large magnum 250's. They are not referenced in any of my books so I was wondering if anyone has used this primer in their 300 mag and how they were working out?

Thanks for any and all suggestions or comments!

Grub
I've used the 250s in 2 7mm LRMs and my 375 Ruger with results as good as I get from the 215s,

Just have to check your loads for pressure signs. Back down a couple of grains and work back up at 1/2gr increases. Then shot for groups. Your are already use Mag primers so it shouldn't take to many rounds to check that out. You should be using a chronograph at the same time to be checking velocity to see how they match up with the 215's. Next is grouping. Hopefully it doesn't change that much. Primers are a part of the reloading process and can change things.
I am beginning to wonder where are all those primers are at? You would think that they should be showing up more.
YUP,.. THIS ^^^ lower powder chge a "bit" to, test for safety's sake and Velocity desired, to Match prior load ( hard Bolt opening in, Warm weather is, NOT good ! ).
Double check POI at,.. 200, 400, 600 Yards against,.. OLD load, DONE !

Just have to check your loads for pressure signs. Back down a couple of grains and work back up at 1/2gr increases. Then shot for groups. Your are already use Mag primers so it shouldn't take to many rounds to check that out. You should be using a chronograph at the same time to be checking velocity to see how they match up with the 215's. Next is grouping. Hopefully it doesn't change that much. Primers are a part of the reloading process and can change things.
I am beginning to wonder where are all those primers are at? You would think that they should be showing up more.
This! And don't pass up any primer that might work and is available.

Brisance is the shattering capability of a high explosive, determined mainly by its detonation pressure.
The CCI 250 as I know it, was considered among magnum primers a Mid Grade Primer. You will likely do just fine using it in place of the FED 215's till they come back on the market. And you'll have educated yourself in that area.
After reading an article about Primer Brisance by John Barsness, I found the chart shown below and it is what I've used for reference when switching primers. For years the FED 215 was considered the most powerful primer as it was the first primer for magnum use. ( Weatherby's) My personal belief is that , once it was developed, the WLRM primer is on the same level as the Fed 215, maybe a touch higher . This is because for many years Winchester did not manufacture a magnum primer. Their WLR primer was used for standard cartridges as well as Large Rifle Magnum Cartridges'. As long as it was safe, I don't think Winchester wanted to take a back seat to Federal
So , heed the warning included with the chart.
Whenever you switch primers, you back up the charge!!

1620946990247.png

CCI-250's are my go to for my 7wsm and 300wm. I commonly get under 10es with 3 shot groups.
They do seem to run on the hot side though.

Regarding the shortage of components; I was watching Guns and Ammo TV on the Outdoor Channel a few weeks ago. The President of Black Hills Ammo was on showing their new offerings. In the discussion with the shows host, he said his company has a three year contract with the Federal Govt to provide 223 ammo Because of COVID, the factory was closed for several months so they are far behind the quota they agreed too. So they are working 3 shifts, ,7days a week to catch up. So Black hills ammo , in 223 or 5.56 has not been available to the general public for a year. I just wonder if that's the case with with the Primer and Powder companies as well??? Maybe they have to provide their components to Ammo companies, so the Ammo Companies can fill the Govt Orders they have had for a year or more??? I just hope its all over soon. !!!! I don't want to shoot air guns!!!!

I'm teaching a friend how to reload and went with him to his range which is normally a pretty busy place. Was only a few old timers shooting black powder and a military surplus rifle. Crazy times. Side note, there was a very old guy shooting a black powder pistol amazingly good at 25 yards. He said he was trying to strengthen a torn rotor cup. Very humbling

With the scarcity and cost of components and ammo the activity at our range has really dropped off. It's a great place to meet new people and visit so I miss that part of it.

These Rem 7.5's seem to work really well in my 20PPCAI and most of my other 17 and 20's. The 9.5 worked great in my Nephews wife's 6.5 Creed.

Attachments

• 20210311_151247.jpg
    20210311_151247.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56