Help with a Tikka t3x in 300 win mag

GW Hunter

Working up a load for my nephew's Tikka 300 win mag with 180 TTSXs and cannot believe how short the magazine is. The max CBTO length is 2.715". It seems as if it will get into compressed loads well before max on many powders. Anyone loading for one of these have any advice on where to start? Start at the very bottom of the charts I guess?

I think you'll be surprised when you start loading. If you do have length issues, I'd ditch the ttsx and go with a standard hp tsx. that tip eats up a lot of length. I load 165 and 180gr sierra game kings and i can hang them out there pretty far before reaching the mag.

I have a Ruger 300 WM and I load the 175gr LRX and TTSX to 3.335" COAL in order to fit the mag and they shoot very well there. In my experience, the Barnes have liked a good bit of jump in mine. I think you will find a load with the short mag length. I did crunch powder with the 175/H1000. Switched to RL22 and it is happy happy.

Don't have 300WM in a Tikka but that sounds very short for the mag length. Did you measure it or your nephew? Correct measurement? My Tikka 270 measure 3.335".

I have had really good luck with accubonds in shorter mag wells. I am able to seat the bullet out and still chase the lands with the accubond, and not have to worry about the long bullet.

Just measured the OAL of the cartridge. It is 3.344". The mag length is 3.360". If I seated any longer, the bullets hang up on the magazine. You also need to be careful when you load the magazine that the tips don't get torn off the bullet by the metal plate in the front of the magazine. The CBTO max length for this gun to the lands is 2.955" which would put the OAL to 3.593". It seems as if the magazine hampers the full potential of this rifle.

Mags for the 300WM are the same as my 270 and others. External length are the same for all calibers, just an internal block is used for shorter calibers.
I'd say you somehow got the wrong mag for your 300WM.
And I will definitely have the nephew look into this....

Mags for the 300WM are the same as my 270 and others. External length are the same for all calibers, just an internal block is used for shorter calibers.
I'd say you somehow got the wrong mag for your 300WM.
Actually just checked the site you included. It's the correct magazine. Maybe something after market...

With the one good eye I have left and a new battery in my caliper that is what I came up with. That is with both the 3 round mag and the 5 round mag for my 270. Could pull out my 260 and my 6.5CM and measure but it is late and I'm lazy. Who needs a 260 and a 6.5CM, only if you want them. LOL

With the one good eye I have left and a new battery in my caliper that is what I came up with. That is with both the 3 round mag and the 5 round mag for my 270. Could pull out my 260 and my 6.5CM and measure but it is late and I'm lazy. Who needs a 260 and a 6.5CM, only if you want them. LOL
Nothing wrong with being late and lazy...
I'm seeing that Hells Canyon Armory makes an aftermarket magazine that would gain .050". $90 though... ouch!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts