Sauer 202 in .300 Win Mag help

esshup

My buddy has the above rifle, 26" muzzle to bolt face, 1:10 twist. He's just going to start reloading (at my house) because he can't get this rifle to shoot any better than 1.25 to 1.5 MOA with ANY factory ammo.

This year the focus is on Mulies and Antelope, next year it will be Elk. Do you guys have any suggestions on loads? I've got a good selection of powder and primers, and he's been saving his brass. (It's a mis-mosh of different mfg.'s, and he'll probably just go buy a couple hundred pieces of new stuff to start afresh.) The scope and rings are good (Swaro 6-24 x 50 Habicht w/target turrets) He's had it 4 years and has run at the most 200 rounds thru it. It's currently residing on my cleaning bench getting ready for a good bath.;) I'm not saying that it's dirty, but I'd rather check for myself!

He's primiarly looking for a good load for out to 500 Yds on Mulies/Pronghorn. Where should we start, how far off the lands, and what increments should I alter the seating depth?

The rifle is at my house because I'll do the load development, (I can shoot to 350 Yds in the backyard) and he'll do the loading for his shooting/hunting. It doesn't help that he lives 90 miles away in Illinois....:(

I told him that he'll have to buy bullets, Accubonds, SMK's and VLD's, but I don't know what to tell him to get for his 1:10 barrel. (weight wise)
I know that the short length barrel will limit the speed to an extent.
Thanks!

If it were me I'd start with the Accubonds, prefer the 200s myself but wouldn't hesitate to use the 180s especially on mulies and pronghorn.

I shoot the 200s out of a 26" 1:10 twist Savage 300 WM without any problems, accuracy is sub MOA and you can seat them to fit in the magazine since they don't seem to mind a jump to the lands. Try 70-72 gr of Re-22 if you've got it, mine likes 71 grs even with Fed 215 primers, good for about 2940 fps.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.