Help with primers for a 300 win mag

Regarding the shortage of components; I was watching Guns and Ammo TV on the Outdoor Channel a few weeks ago. The President of Black Hills Ammo was on showing their new offerings. In the discussion with the shows host, he said his company has a three year contract with the Federal Govt to provide 223 ammo Because of COVID, the factory was closed for several months so they are far behind the quota they agreed too. So they are working 3 shifts, ,7days a week to catch up. So Black hills ammo , in 223 or 5.56 has not been available to the general public for a year. I just wonder if that's the case with with the Primer and Powder companies as well??? Maybe they have to provide their components to Ammo companies, so the Ammo Companies can fill the Govt Orders they have had for a year or more??? I just hope its all over soon. !!!! I don't want to shoot air guns!!!!
It was my understanding that during Obama term in office. The law enforcement agencies were buying up huge amount of ammo from the manufactures. Which was creating the shortage back then. It was 10 of million of rounds, and some agencies really didn't have any use for them. With the slow down with combat there should be a lot of ammo the government doesn't need. If I can find it I will post it.

Over the Pressure Trace II, primer Brisbane goes like this from my testing, from hottest to coldest.
Magnum primers:
WLRM
FED 215
CCI 250
REM 9 1/2

Standard primers:
WLR
FED 210
CCI 200
REM 9 1/2

The test consisted of running the exact same charge, case, bullet and only switching primer.
Looking at my notes, I don't think Remington had a magnum primer and I was only able to get 9 1/2 primers anyway.
Did the same test with SRP and the hottest was the FED 205 Magnum primer...which was an obvious outcome.
For big charges of ball powder, my best results have been with WLRM primers, hands down...only issue is the pinholing problem they had, which I found last year and had the entire brick replaced by Winchester and my bolt that it buggered up.

Cheers.

Hi all,

like most of you, I am having trouble finding primers of any type. I recently purchased a new Bergara 14 Wilderness in 300 Win Mag. I have been loading a variety of bullets using Federal 215 Match Large Magnum Primers and have had excellent results. I am now down to less than 225 primers. I have found a source for CCI large magnum 250's. They are not referenced in any of my books so I was wondering if anyone has used this primer in their 300 mag and how they were working out?

Thanks for any and all suggestions or comments!

Grub
Shoot magnum primers, they are more consistent match grade if you can find them.

I have found that over the years that if you are under or about 75grs, that fed 210 did an excellent job. Mag primers in that size of load, didn't group as well. Powder, cases, and bullets were the same, just primers. I still use them even today.

Last edited:
As the subject of magnum vs standard primers has now arisen I again encourage the op to try whatever primers he can get his hands on without hesitation or fear that they're not appropriate.

magnum primers are at times better (I prefer 215m in my 300 win mag) but not required.

it's interesting to me federal developed the 215 specially for weatherby's monster 378 case when it was unveiled in 1953. Before that there were no "magnum" or "standard" primers, there were just primers. The .300 and .375 hh, .300, 257, and 270 wby, the magnum-ish 280 Ross, the 416 rigby, even 505 Gibbs for crying out loud....all ran optimally with what we now would regard as non-magnum primers.

As the subject of magnum vs standard primers has now arisen I again encourage the op to try whatever primers he can get his hands on without hesitation or fear that they're not appropriate.

magnum primers are at times better (I prefer 215m in my 300 win mag) but not required.

it's interesting to me federal developed the 215 specially for weatherby's monster 378 case when it was unveiled in 1953. Before that there were no "magnum" or "standard" primers, there were just primers. The .300 and .375 hh, .300, 257, and 270 wby, the magnum-ish 280 Ross, the 416 rigby, even 505 Gibbs for crying out loud....all ran optimally with what we now would regard as non-magnum primers.
You know some history! In 1953 I was only 5 years old. Just started to shoot a 22 rifle. Hardly knew one end or the other, but I learned.

Interesting fact regarding primers...the term 'flattened primers' did not mean the same as it does today. Prior to the 70's, factory primers were concave, not flat with a radius like they are today. This reference of flattened primers meant that if you experiences a completely flattened primer, you were pushing the pressure limits of the brass.
I still have boxes of Kynoch 416 Rigby rounds that are loaded with concave primers, albeit larger than we use today, and dozens of old 222 ammo with the same rounded primers.
Funny how quickly such things fade from memory.
These rounds I have were produced when very little reloading components would have been available.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions, there a lot of good info here. I will buy them and give them a run through the nw t chance I get! Thanks again!

Recent Posts