Help with a Tikka t3x in 300 win mag

Short mag boxes are a common problem on a lot of rifles.They seem to have been designed around a 2.5" case length.The 300 Win Mag has a longer case so that eats up free space.Remington rifles have a much longer mag box and it's perfect for the 300 Win Mag.

I think the main problem with all the bulk manufacturers is adhering to SAAMI specifications combined with probably only the last 10 years an abundance of lengthy, high BC bullets that are becoming very popular. Reloading to SAAMI specs with long for caliber, high BC bullets for the most part, don't seem to be compatible with factory length magazines/DBM from most factory rifles. Even the makers of extended magazines and bottom metal barely gain enough to fit some of the long high BC bullets.

I have an older Tikka 695 in 300wm and the problems are compounded in that no one makes any after market products (DBM mainly) for it anymore and it is not compatible with the newer T3 anything, so contemplating a Sherman MAX chambering with a new barrel. It is a shame that one of the finest factory actions is so severely hampered by COAL in every caliber.

I had a similar problem with my Tikka 7.08 liking length\ projectile combinations that didn't sit in the mag. I took the "perfect" round to my local gunsmith and he shaved a fraction off the bolt stop and supplied a Tikka 270 5 shot magazine. I have since changed my perfect round but I have plenty of room to experiment now. My mate who got into reloading when I did 3 years ago has a 300 and he bought a lucky 8 magazine that gives him a bit extra on length. We are both still novices in our minds but what better way to spend the dark nights than reloading, eh..

Following up... the magazine length being what it is would your next step be ladder testing or OCW testing?

Last edited:
I like the 4350 powders in the 300 Win Mag.Reloader 17 is also good.They might give you a little more powder space since you have to seat deep to fit your mag box.

A few loads that worked for me in two 300 WIN Mags
20200526_162258.jpg
20200526_162245.jpg
20200526_162236.jpg
20200526_162224.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.