Help with Lightweight 6.5 build

I do have a 7mag tc venture im not a fan of. But i thought the idea of the 6.5ss was to stay in a short action.. what am i missing?
Yeah a Tikka action is the way to go unless you want to fork out money for a custom Titanium.
I'm not sure about COAL with a 6.5 SS and long bullets, but I built my 6.5 SAUM on a Tikka that started out as a 7mm rem mag.
The good thing is that mag space is unlimited with a short action round, you can seat the longest bullets out to the proper case neck junction.
The LA magnum magazine will be a little tight on a Saum or WSM based round but that's easily fixed by taking the bottom off the magazine and sanding the inside all the way up to the feeding lips with a dremmel tool.
I know that sounds a little hillbilly but trust me it's a legitimate fix.

The 6.5 is the sherman short mag developed by richard Sherman known by elkoholic on here. It will fit 140s to 160s seated long and still fit in a true short action. Yet you can push 140s to 3200+ and still have 2000+ rounds in ur barrel life.. In my opinion and many others it is the most sufficient 6.5 round avalible for the heavy pills.

So i finally decided what caliber im going to build around. I was going to build a 28nosler but just cant do the barrel life. So i decided to have a 6.5ss built. Im gunna start ordering parts in the next few days. I know i want it on a manners Eh1 stock with a 22 or 24in proof sendero. Timmney F/E trigger. My real question is what action to build it off of.
I have tossed around the ideas of buying a blueprint from ptg, but at the price why not get one of the big name custom actions. Or should i just find an old savage, sako, winchester, rem as i am trying to keep everything between 2500-3000 but still be fairly lightweight around 8lbs.
Also what about just buying a tika t3 in 300wsm and building off that.
Im open to any ideas on what direction to go with the action and bottom metal. The age old question what would you do?
Also if looking for a cheap used rifle what are the best to convert into a 6.5ss.
One last thing, for the proof sendero barrel large shank or small shank?
Thanks for your input
A t3 in 300wsm will work fine in your case. You might try the Tikka trigger before you buy an after market trigger. You will probally have to cut a relief ring on the old barrel where it meets the action because Tikka barrels are so tight I'm afraid of wrenching the action when pulling it.

I've built three "lightweight" 6.5's. One WSM on a Lone Peak titanium and two 6.6 SS. One was on a Defiance UL medium and the current on a Kelbly Atlas Tactical short action. I used Remington BDL bottom metal on all three since it was the lightest I could find. All three were in a Manners EH1 with a Bix'n Andy tacsport two stage trigger. I used a Wyatt's box in the two SS which may not have been necessary but I had it.

The Kelbly action was an ounce lighter than the Defiance UL. That's my favorite action. Yes, it's heavier than the Lone Peak but I like the mechanical ejector vs plunger. I like the full nitrided action. I also like the fact that it's $500 less than the other two.

Two of the builds had 26" bbl and one 28". All were Proof carbon Sendero (Light, I think). I ran a suppressor on the WSM and a titanium self indexing brake on the SS.

I took two elk with the WSM and an elk and mountain goat with the Defiance SS this year.

i am trying to keep everything between 2500-3000 but still be fairly lightweight around 8lbs.
You might want to take a look at steel barrels with a #1 or #2 contour over the Proof carbon barrels if 8lbs is your goal. I'm currently trying to build essentially the same thing as yourself but in 280A.I. and I'm finding that getting to 8lbs flat is a challenge without going over $3k. Also to help keep cost down, look for prefit barrels. I talked to a few gunsmiths at my cities gun show yesterday and the going rate to machine and fit a proof barrel blank is about $400 on top of the $800 you buy the barrel for. Also, the Manners EH1 is a bit heavier than the EH2 or EH3 of you need to save those last few ounces. Just something to keep in mind. I have two separate threads on this where the members here give me a ton of great information about building an 8lbs rifle for under $3k. Good luck with your build sir, I hope you post pictures when you're done.

Last edited:
I've built three "lightweight" 6.5's. One WSM on a Lone Peak titanium and two 6.6 SS. One was on a Defiance UL medium and the current on a Kelbly Atlas Tactical short action. I used Remington BDL bottom metal on all three since it was the lightest I could find. All three were in a Manners EH1 with a Bix'n Andy tacsport two stage trigger. I used a Wyatt's box in the two SS which may not have been necessary but I had it.

The Kelbly action was an ounce lighter than the Defiance UL. That's my favorite action. Yes, it's heavier than the Lone Peak but I like the mechanical ejector vs plunger. I like the full nitrided action. I also like the fact that it's $500 less than the other two.

Two of the builds had 26" bbl and one 28". All were Proof carbon Sendero (Light, I think). I ran a suppressor on the WSM and a titanium self indexing brake on the SS.

I took two elk with the WSM and an elk and mountain goat with the Defiance SS this year.
Those sound like some sweet rigs. h
How do you like the SS's vs your WSM? I also plan on running a can for most of the rifles life around home. How is the recoil of the 6.5ss without the brakes on? Part of me just wants to go all out and put it on a custom action. Do you like the kelby or defiance the most?

You might want to take a look at steel barrels with a #1 or #2 contour over the Proof carbon barrels if 8lbs is your goal. I'm currently trying to build essentially the same thing as yourself but in 280A.I. and I'm finding that getting to 8lbs flat is a challenge without going over $3k. Also to help keep cost down, look for prefit barrels. I talked to a few gunsmiths at my cities gun show yesterday and the going rate to machine and for a proof barrel is about $400 on top of the $800 you buy the barrel for. Also, the Manners EH1 is a bit heavier than the EH2 or EH3 of you need to save those last few ounces. Just something to keep in mind. I have two separate threads on this where the members here give me a ton of great information about building an 8lbs rifle for under $3k. Good luck with your build sir, I hope you post pictures when you're done.
I will look into the barrel weights and look at manners weights and rethink things, thank you for the info. The 1 reason i was leaning towards proof is because i have a friend that can get me them for a little over 500 bucks for me.

Yeah a Tikka action is the way to go unless you want to fork out money for a custom Titanium.
I'm not sure about COAL with a 6.5 SS and long bullets, but I built my 6.5 SAUM on a Tikka that started out as a 7mm rem mag.
The good thing is that mag space is unlimited with a short action round, you can seat the longest bullets out to the proper case neck junction.
The LA magnum magazine will be a little tight on a Saum or WSM based round but that's easily fixed by taking the bottom off the magazine and sanding the inside all the way up to the feeding lips with a dremmel tool.
I know that sounds a little hillbilly but trust me it's a legitimate fix.
I believe coal on this round is 2.90

C. 2

Thank you. Most likely will end up putting a manners eh1on it
I have built over Dozen Tikka Customs and love all of them. If you want to be under 8# you will need to limit the proof carbon barrel to 24"-26" and the tikka stock is adequate and very accurate and light and free (comes with donor rifle) and will save you $ on your build. Most of my builds come in around 1K and all shoot around 1/2 moa with the ugly Tikka Stock....Your donor rifle had a life time moa warranty from Sako. Just saying...

The Tikka action is a stellar choice to build off of. This is a rebarreled 270 to 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, Lilja barrel, custom wood stock.
1549808334116459504410177639579.jpg
15498083880031029879286589993701.jpg
15498084370838015225166948714413.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts