Help with 280ai build

nctta

Going to build a 280ai and have decided on fluted Brux#4, because i have it already...for rest what would you suggest?

Action. Stiller, Pierce, other
Stock. A3 sporter, Gamescout, other
Trigger. Timney or Jewel
Bottom Metal. Box or Hinged Floor plate
Muzzle break. ? But I want it removable with optional thread protector

Thanks

Going to build a 280ai and have decided on fluted Brux#4, because i have it already...for rest what would you suggest?

Action. Stiller, Pierce, other
Stock. A3 sporter, Gamescout, other
Trigger. Timney or Jewel
Bottom Metal. Box or Hinged Floor plate
Muzzle break. ? But I want it removable with optional thread protector

Thanks

OK, well, budget is first. What is your top end, and what should that budget include?
Does that budget include: action, stock, trigger, bottom metal, scope, reloading supplies?

For me, I would build a Remington 700 action. Yes, the custom actions are cool, but a decent smith can build the Remington 700 every bit as accurate as a clone.

Stock, I prefer an HTG style stock for hunting purposes. McMillian or Manners, take your pick.

Trigger, Timney all the way to the back and taxidermist/butcher.

Bottom metal: bdl everyday of the week.

Muzzle break? Depends on the overall weight of the rifle. But a Vias would do the trick nicely.

Thanks

Jason Klein
Grim Reaper Tactical
541-281-0011

I don't really have a budget in mind. I figure the action is $1000, stock $500, barrel flutted and fitted $700, Trigger $200,break $150, $300 is on Bdl setup, scope, rings, bases $1000...so I figure im in the $3700-4000 ball park

I am a big fan of Pierce actions. I don't think you can go wrong with one. That said, I don't hear of many complaints surrounding any of the top-tier actions.

I have a fairly light set-up in 280 AI, and I have found the recoil surprisingly mild. I have not once wished it wore a brake. I have an un-braked 300WSM that I have grown to hate shooting, because it pounds me and i flinch like a little girl, so it is safe to say I am not amazingly recoil tolerant.

For a trigger, I don't think you can beat a Jewell. I have an M70 with a Timney and it is a nice trigger -BUT- my personal preference is Jewell and its not even close.

Stock and bottom metal are IMO a personal preference thing. Try out some different stocks and see what style you prefer.

Good luck with your build!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.