Help- my gun won’t group

Do you know if the receiver threads were opened at all when your action was trued? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that remage prefits would no longer work with a 700 that had been trued (with action threads opened up).
This is where I would explore. If the threads were single point chased and enlarged then you will need a custom barrel that will only work with your rifle.

I always grab for the low hanging fruit first before I start pulling the rifle apart. These steps are time consuming and monotonous but tend to eliminate a lot of sources of problems usually cost little more than time and, again,all before the rifle gets torn down.

1) Get some premium factory ammo.

a) Measure the COAL with a dial micrometer.

b) Record your measurements in a notebook.

c) If the first shot always goes where you want it to

i) Something is moving during recoil.

2) Let someone you trust shoot it.

a) How much time between each shot. I realize that carbon barrels are supposed to negate much of the temperature issues but 24" is a long tube, What is the taper?

b) If the first shot is ALWAYS where he wants it.

i) Then there is probably nothing wrong with the chamber/barrel

ii) If the first shot is ALWAYS two inches off of POA then the chamber/barrel is likely a problem.

3) Do not use the magazine, manually feed each round.

a) If step 3 tightens up the group.

i) Then If you reload your neck tension is insufficient.

ii) To prove this load up the magazine and fire a string.

iii) Mark each round with a sharpie numbering its place in the magazine.

iv) Measure COAL of round 1, Write that in the notebook.

v) Fire round 1, Remove all rounds from the magazine and measure all

vi) Note in notebook.

vii) Put the rounds in the magazine the way you have them numbered so they are always in the same order.

viii) Repeat this with all rounds in the magazine.

ix) If your recordings show the COAL increasing with each shot then recoil is causing the bullets to jump forward, and your distance off the rifling is changing.

4) If you are reloading, is this new brass or previously fired (in this rifle).

a) What kind of press are you using? Is it single stage, old, new?

i) Check the ram for wear throughout its entire length of travel grab it and try to wiggle it in the bushing in the press frame. You should not perceive any movement at all.

b) Do you have access to a runout gauge? If so, check runout on new brass if you have any. Record your measurements.

i) Measure again after you size the brass, measure runout and record the results.

ii) Load a few rounds, measure and record the runout results. Number them with a sharpie so you don't lose track of which is which.

iii) In a safe place, manually chamber and completely close the bolt, carefully cycle the bolt; remove the round and measure and record runout again.

iv) Load the magazine with these rounds. Cycle the bolt chambering and ejecting the rounds one by one, measure runout and record results.

If you have any questions about what any of these steps will prove for you please IM me and I will explain.

Last edited:
I always grab for the low hanging fruit first before I start pulling the rifle apart. These steps are time consuming and monotonous but tend to eliminate a lot of sources of problems usually cost little more than time and, again,all before the rifle gets torn down.

1) Get some premium factory ammo.

a) Measure the COAL with a dial micrometer.

b) Record your measurements in a notebook.

c) If the first shot always goes where you want it to

i) Something is moving during recoil.

2) Let someone you trust shoot it.

a) How much time between each shot. I realize that carbon barrels are supposed to negate much of the temperature issues but 24" is a long tube, What is the taper?

b) If the first shot is ALWAYS where he wants it.

i) Then there is probably nothing wrong with the chamber/barrel

ii) If the first shot is ALWAYS two inches off of POA then the chamber/barrel is likely a problem.

3) Do not use the magazine, manually feed each round.

a) If step 3 tightens up the group.

i) Then If you reload your neck tension is insufficient.

ii) To prove this load up the magazine and fire a string.

iii) Mark each round with a sharpie numbering its place in the magazine.

iv) Measure COAL of round 1, Write that in the notebook.

v) Fire round 1, Remove all rounds from the magazine and measure all

vi) Note in notebook.

vii) Pus the rounds in the magazine the way you have them numbered so they are always in the same order.

viii) Repeat this with all rounds in the magazine.

ix) If your recordings show the COAL increasing with each shot then recoil is causing the bullets to jump forward, and your distance off the rifling is changing.

4) If you are reloading, is this new brass or previously fired (in this rifle).

a) What kind of press are you using? Is it single stage, old, new?

i) Check the ram for wear throughout its entire length of travel grab it and try to wiggle it in the bushing in the press frame. You should not perceive any movement at all.

b) Do you have access to a runout gauge? If so, check runout on new brass if you have any. Record your measurements.

i) Measure again after you size the brass, measure runout and record the results.

ii) Load a few rounds, measure and record the runout results. Number them with a sharpie so you don't lose track of which is which.

iii) In a safe place, manually chamber and completely close the bolt, carefully cycle the bolt; remove the round and measure and record runout again.

iv) Load the magazine with these rounds. Cycle the bolt chambering and ejecting the rounds one by one, measure runout and record results.

If you have any questions about what any of these steps will prove for you please IM me and I will explain.
I think you covered it very well. Good work.

Going a little deeper into the action. When you say "trued", what exactly does that entail? Waspocrew and sedancowboy touched on the receiver threads. You said then the bolt wouldn't close. On my last 700 truing, I had the receiver threads single point cut (requiring custom threads), receiver face trued, bolt face, receiver and bolt lugs all trued to receiver face and the bolt retimed. Truing can encompass a great deal.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is the bottom of the trigger touching the inside of the trigger guard at any point in its movement? It looks very close. Also check to see if the sides of the trigger are touching the sides of the bottom metal or inside the stock. Something tells me there is much more to this story than has been said. Who trued the action and who did the stock work? What was the reason the bolt wouldn't close and you had to have the bolt handle moved?

I'll try to be brief but I'll have to lay some back story. I love to build my own stuff. Problem 1 I understood. I bought a Remington 700 action. Had it trued. It was way off. Then the bolt wouldn't close. I had to have the bolt moved and tig welded on. Then I bought a custom McMillan stock. Game warden. Trigger tech trigger. Amazing. And I choose a remage barrel by carbon six. Chamber in 7mm rem mag. It's a sweet looking gun. I put a nightforce one it. It's a good scope.
I can't get it to group. I've tried all different powders and bullet weights. This has been going on 4 years now of trying to get the gun to shoot. I even got a new barrel from carbon six. Still doesn't shoot. Any thought or suggestions would be very appreciated. I have torqued everything to correct specs / inch pounds. There is a lot more to this story. this is the basics of it.
26" barrel.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. View attachment 499096View attachment 499097
I'll have to go with the others and look for the threads being chased for trueing. Also if the bolt wouldn't work properly after trueing the action then I'd say that's the first area I'd look for the problem. My guess is you'll need a new action if you want to use the remage barrel.

I'll try to be brief but I'll have to lay some back story. I love to build my own stuff. Problem 1 I understood. I bought a Remington 700 action. Had it trued. It was way off. Then the bolt wouldn't close. I had to have the bolt moved and tig welded on. Then I bought a custom McMillan stock. Game warden. Trigger tech trigger. Amazing. And I choose a remage barrel by carbon six. Chamber in 7mm rem mag. It's a sweet looking gun. I put a nightforce one it. It's a good scope.
I can't get it to group. I've tried all different powders and bullet weights. This has been going on 4 years now of trying to get the gun to shoot. I even got a new barrel from carbon six. Still doesn't shoot. Any thought or suggestions would be very appreciated. I have torqued everything to correct specs / inch pounds. There is a lot more to this story. this is the basics of it.
26" barrel.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. View attachment 499096View attachment 499097

It sounds like you've done most of the basic stuff. The suggestion to switch scopes is a good one, but I've never had a bad NightForce. One thing, the older Rem 700 actions were very good to excellent, the recent ones, not so much. I've got 700s from 20 to 30 years ago that shoot 5 shot, 100 yard groups under 1" all day long. My VSSF 22-250 shoots 1/2".

If it makes you feel any better OP I had a Ruger M77 (newer model) that would not shoot sub MOA, best it would do is about 1.5. It took me years and lots of money to get it sorted out. Basically a whole new gun and two bedding jobs later it shoots 1/2 inch groups. If it was a sentimental rifle, it would have been down the road kicking rocks a long time ago.

My 7mm Rem Mag wasn't quite as bad as 2" at 100 but some loads would approach 1.8". Today it shoots 0.215" to 0.334" with 180gr Berger VLD hunters at 100 (yes I know, Berger says the twist rate on my Sendero is marginal for these. I agree. I'd rather see 0.100" to 0.000" groups but these'll do). Longer range testing to come. I replaced of the old school brake with ports 360° around. That helped some. After shooting 1,500+ rounds thru various rifles this year I've improved my shooting skills. That was a lot of it. After I pull the trigger on my Rem Mag, I'm still on the scope and the scope is still on or very near the target. Before I fine tune me, that was not the case, at all.

A lot of good suggestions have been mentioned above and worthy of investigation.

A thought from looking at your images....

Are you absolutely sure your Pic rail is properly torqued to the action and Loctite 242 applied to screws?

The Marine Corps generally uses a HD ring/base up front, the 6 screw cap type on optics mounted to the M40.

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 09.41.10.jpg
Mounting scope bases to a Picatinny rail requires a scope alignment rod in order to torque the bases down into the Pic rail slot. It is pretty rare needing to lap rings from well known, reputable manufacturers.

Also, when you mount the bases with alignment rod into the Picatinny rail, you want the muzzle facing upwards. With a small plastic faced mallet very gently tap the ring bases to firmly set into the face of the Pic slot to the rear of the base.

There is a very specific technique to torquing the bases into the Pic rail as well as the scope in the rings to maintain alignment in order to achieve absolutely no movement or torque on the optic's tube. Further, 0.001 inch of scope movement will cause about one MOA of scope reticle movement on the target. Once you have the proper installation, a repeatable zero is easily achieved if the scope/base assembly is removed from the Pic rail. Assuming the optic assembly is reinstalled on the Pic rail correctly to eliminate all movement.

In your second post you stated you are getting 2" groups...so the rifle is grouping, just not a tight of a group as you had hoped.

Hopefully you can identify the issue. If not, I would send the rifle to Matt (a fellow Marine) at Short Action Customs for analysis You have a fair amount of coin invested in the project, might as well have one of the best bolt action gunsmith in business today take a look at it. And no doubt there are many other fine "rifle 'smiths" capable of identifying your rifle's issue.

I bought all the components for my PRS rifle; sent everything to Matt for working his magic. I have a solid 1/2 MOA rifle.
Quality components should yield the results you desire. I'm a tinker'er as well, but, I knew I needed a gunsmith like Matt to build the rifle I desired.

Good luck!

Mounting scope bases to a Picatinny rail requires a scope alignment rod in order to torque the bases down into the Pic rail slot. It is pretty rare needing to lap rings from well known, reputable manufacturers.

I've gotten real sloppy and not used my alignment rod with the last couple of installs. Thanks for the reminder.

I recently had new rings that had a burr inside one of the top mounts that acted like a thread and allowed my scope to shift (turned clockwise about 7 degrees) kept noticing my verticals was off and I'd remount the scope so my 100-200 seemed fine but distance was off of course with any dialing. Was over it and in the process of changing rings when I noticed the screw wouldn't just fall freely thru the upper mount. Was a new set of rings from a reputable company.