Solved my exact issue.

Attachments

• IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5110.jpeg
    IMG_5110.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 49
I see this all of the time, not all blue prints are equal, there are so many things it could be. It takes me a day just to analyze a firearm for issues. My philosophy is it's broke until I have verified that it's not. I have seen 10k rifles come to my bench that had something incredibly simple missed, and was causing all sorts of issues. Unfortunately "gunsmithing" is taking a back seat to parts replacement and lack of understanding. I feel your pain, with the right hands on the rifle it is most certainly fixable. Good luck.

I'll try to be brief but I'll have to lay some back story. I love to build my own stuff. Problem 1 I understood. I bought a Remington 700 action. Had it trued. It was way off. Then the bolt wouldn't close. I had to have the bolt moved and tig welded on. Then I bought a custom McMillan stock. Game warden. Trigger tech trigger. Amazing. And I choose a remage barrel by carbon six. Chamber in 7mm rem mag. It's a sweet looking gun. I put a nightforce one it. It's a good scope.
I can't get it to group. I've tried all different powders and bullet weights. This has been going on 4 years now of trying to get the gun to shoot. I even got a new barrel from carbon six. Still doesn't shoot. Any thought or suggestions would be very appreciated. I have torqued everything to correct specs / inch pounds. There is a lot more to this story. this is the basics of it.
26" barrel.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. View attachment 499096View attachment 499097
At some point, most shooters will go through this at some point. Go back to the basics. Don't try to skip steps thinking "it can't be that". After the basics. Shoot at close range. On paper? If yes, move farther. Sight in scope for 100yds. Just how far out are you trying for? Whats your moa goal? I know this mostly redundant, but sometimes you just have to get back to the beginning. My problem is usually getting a case of the " yips". Too much coffee in the morning. Good luck!

Wow,sorry to hear of your problems.Have owned a few rifles that grouped poorly at first,then I bedded the action and recoil lug and it shot better but not as good as I wanted.Those went bye bye.
If all else fails I would look at AllTerra actions.The guys at Allterra are on this site and would welcome a call.
I wish you the best.
Old Rooster

It's simple to shorten the screws if needed. Use any grinding wheel and take what's needed. I only own one Remington and had to do it on both front and rear because the bolt wouldn't close. It's a wood stock 700 7mm mag. Needless to say, it's pillar bedded now and luckily it's a shooter.
I would recommend a cut off wheel over grinding myself. And I would first screw a chase or nut w/ appropriate threads on before cutting. Then unscrew the nut or chase after cutting to ensure the screw goes in straight. And not cross thread.

Curious about the twist of the barrel and what you are using for bullets. Usually when I read about a rifle not grouping I go to the sighting system. Although you wrote that you torqued everything out, I would again start with the basics. Something that I always do before I start to torque down the scope base/s is to check that the screws are not bottoming out on the action. By this I mean that I put the base mount screw into the scope base and then tighten it down, first just snug and then to the torqued specs to make sure that the screw is holding the base in place and not bottoming out in the action. From there I keep the sequence of the screw testing in place to ensure that all the same screws go into the same screw hole they were tested in. I have seen where the screw over the barrel will bottom out where the other screws over the action/bolt will not. My next thought is to check the scope rings. I was at the range with a cousin a few days before he was going on a Wyoming mule deer/antelope hunt. He stated that there was the possibility for some long distance shots and he wanted to check his rifle out for distance shooting. He stated that he was concerned because he was having trouble getting the rifle to group and his groups were sporadic. And...yes his groups were all over the place and not grouping at all. The rifle was a Winchester model 70 in .270WSM. He said the rifle was shooting MOA and all of a sudden the rifle stopped shooting that way. He started shooting off of the bench, I was watching to see if he had a flinching issue or doing something wrong with his trigger pull, "anything" to figure out reason behind the rifle not grouping. While I was watching him shoot, I noticed that the rear scope ring appeared to separate upon the recoil of the rifle. Upon closer examination we found that the scope ring had cracked in a seam just under the scope. It was in a place that unless one was looking for the crack it would not be apparent, so...something else that you may want to consider checking. And lastly I would try another scope that I knew was reliable. I know it is a real pain, however my thoughts are that after all of the aggravation and all of the money you have put into this rifle it is a small price to pay to be certain that the scope is not the issue. Good luck with your build, I hope that someone replies that will give you the answer to your issue.

Members have made some terrific suggestions.
I can only ask about headspacing a pre-fit barrel onto an action that might have some problems. Is the headspace within limits or close to mins? Is the barrel centered?

Can you post a pic of fired cases, including primers?

You have a lot of information here, but have you gone directly to the builder and had them try to show you that it's right? Why wonder. If they are a competant builder they should be able to get things right for you. If not, send it of to a reputable builder from here. Also, maybe I missed it, but list the bullet and powder combos that you've tried. There are some that just work in certain cases. Without knowing that, how can people guide you. And never forget, you can't ever make a barrel like what you want it to. Even with the normal success combos. Sometimes you have to try until you find what it wants. And as far as carbon six, I will never use one because they use mcgowan blanks, and when smokless ml guys started using their blanks and found bores that had loose and tight spots, I shut them out. That's why most of them builders use brux now. You seriously need to get with the builder at this point.

I'll try to be brief but I'll have to lay some back story. I love to build my own stuff. Problem 1 I understood. I bought a Remington 700 action. Had it trued. It was way off. Then the bolt wouldn't close. I had to have the bolt moved and tig welded on. Then I bought a custom McMillan stock. Game warden. Trigger tech trigger. Amazing. And I choose a remage barrel by carbon six. Chamber in 7mm rem mag. It's a sweet looking gun. I put a nightforce one it. It's a good scope.
I can't get it to group. I've tried all different powders and bullet weights. This has been going on 4 years now of trying to get the gun to shoot. I even got a new barrel from carbon six. Still doesn't shoot. Any thought or suggestions would be very appreciated. I have torqued everything to correct specs / inch pounds. There is a lot more to this story. this is the basics of it.
26" barrel.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. View attachment 499096View attachment 499097
I bot a 308 sfar...it shoots 0.5" groups with Norma factory 150 gr ammo...sweet!!
So maybe give some Norma ammo in 7mag a try.

26" barrel.
That's not a very stable looking shooting shooting set up.
Try a rock solid bench and some factory ammo first then go from there. Ditch that folding card table.

I have a vanguard in rem 7 mag with a muzzle brake. It was shooting great with a vortex scope but upgraded to a nightforce which is heavier. Accuracy went from about 1/2 inch to 2 inches. Sent the nightforce back to nightforce. They said scope was moving in the rings because of xtra weight

The old base/rings were a one piece. A new set of Talley rings solved the problem

That's not a very stable looking shooting shooting set up.
Try a rock solid bench and some factory ammo first then go from there. Ditch that folding card table.
I thought that as well! I wasn't sure if he was shooting from that setup or set it up just for images.

There will be a lot of movement in that table as the bullet travels down the barrel if that is your shooting platform.

But I agree, use a rock solid benchrest is a must. If one is not available, shoot from the prone position with an Atlas or Harris bipod using proper technique.