Help with group results?

I have always found that flyers come more often from a clean barrel than a cold barrel. at least fire one or two shots before hunting or shooting at the range with a clean barrel and you should eliminate the flyer----good lock

No matter how many patches you run thru a clean bore you need to fire at least two shots to foul the bore before shooting for group. Also before going hunting. I use the least expensive bullet I can find for fouling shots. What you experienced is very common.

I would agree it's very likely the clean/cold barrel shot that caused the flyer. I have a couple of rifles that have to get at least 2 or 3 rounds down the pipe before they settle down and shoot. I will generally run a patch with a bit of WD or my normal synthetic oil thru, just to make sure it doesn't corrode while hunting. Used sparingly, it doesn't seem to affect the first shot anywhere near as much as after they've been cleaned. You'll just have to do some testing with it to be certain.
Cheers,
crkckr

This is exactly why I prefer a stainless barrel. I can shoot a couple fouling shots & check the zero before I go hunting. No matter what the weather I am assured that any shot I take comes from a fouled bore that is protected from corrosion by the highly corrosion resistant stainless barrel. There has been numerous times over the years where I have been in cold wet snowy weather for days. Any oil left in your barrel for protection will throw off your first shot at least, & very likely a second shot.

Gotta add my 2 cents! I've been a shooter for over 60 years and just recently found a new way to clean barrels I believe will end the "first shot out " problem. Y'all have hinted at it; shoot a couple fouling shots b4 serious grouping. However, this is a much better way!
I have gone to the "pull it" method of cleaning. I spray or pour an oil down the barrel and pull a bore snake through. That is all ! WOW! I remember benchrest shooters would clean their barrels completely and dry it thoroughly THEN shoot fouling shots! DUH! Next, a fine barrel maker said NEVER shoot a dry barrel. Add it up, benchresters and barrel maker say and do the same thing. So, it makes perfect sense. Something else to consider; as the bullet goes down the barrel it will fill the pores in the steel making it smoother and then maybe less bullet interference? Whatever happens is a good thing. No more "cold barrel" shots. I also won't pull the snake til after a lot of shots. I have NOT seen ANY degradation of accuracy neither. New barrels? Shoot 5, pull one. Shoot 5 , pull one. Repeat for 20 shots. Maybe once a year I will use a cleaning rod and brushes and patches. IF accuracy is degrading. Oh, and my rifles are shooting sub 1/2 MOA with this method.

I agree with the fouling shot. My .270 Win needs 2 fouling shots and then groups very tight.

I've had several rifles that need a couple of rounds through the barrel to group well, and/or to group in the right spot. In fact, I don't think I've ever had one that I would just take out for a hunt without shooting it to get the oil out of the bore. From the comments I've read in this thread, I think that's the norm - not the exception.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.