Help with grouping

ml williford

Hello, I'm looking for someone to help me with a problem I have. I have a Remington 700 Sendero 300 WM with a heavy barrel that will not hold a group. I've checked the float on barrel, all things with the optics and use hand loads. All different loads to see if that might be an issue. I'm not a beginner but I'm not a sniper either. I consider myself a good shot out to 500 yards and also have this type of gun in the 25-06 caliber that I love. It groups MOA under .5 at 400 yards so I know the gun issue is not me and I've even used a gun vise to make sure I'm not moving or jerking. Trigger set to 2.5 lbs. so there is no trigger issue either.

Any suggestions on things to check? This is the first magnum that I've owned. My hunting buddy's worry that the guns I use are not enough for the Mule deer hunting I have started doing. I realize the 25-06 is on the small side but I've always thought that bullet placement is more important than big bullet. I'm not willing to buy another big gun to just try and see if it will solve the problem. No person I've talked to has given me any help that has worked.

Thanks in Advance
ML Williford
Deer park, TX

I would start by switching over to the scope that's on your 25-06 and see if its the scope. Then I would check bedding, crown, action screw torque, etc etc. What are your loads you tried? Bullet, powder, etc.

"My hunting buddy's worry that the guns I use are not enough for the Mule deer hunting I have started doing."

Your buddies lack experience. I know a couple guys who hunt elk with .25 caliber. One uses a .25-06 and the other uses a .25-06 AI. They used Barnes TTSX 100 grainers quite successfully for the last few years. As far as I know they hunt bulls only.

Bu to your question. I have another friend who has a .338 RUM. He is an outrageous shot but was getting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, despite it having a brake. I suggested he hold the rifle like he would a BB gun. His very next groups went to 1/2".

So, two things. If you don't have a brake, get one. If you have one hold the rifle differently. The idea that brakes are loud is silly. Guns are loud. Start using electronic hearing protection when hunting and at the range. Using electronic hearing protection is like switching from open sights to scopes. It's modern.

Best advice I can come up with is you sell the rifle to me at a nominal fee

Seriously... I agree with gohring3006. Switch to the tried/true glass. All screws tight tight. Now load 76.6 gr of H4831sc with a Hornady 165gmx or 168Amax at factory coal. Shoot 3 too see.. Then lengthen seating depth by .04...shoot 3 to see.. Then .04 more... Then .04 more etc. if by the time you touch the lands it's still no good...hmmmm recipe not the issue. It's time to get SMITH to true the action and lap the lugs. Try again.. Then maybe bedding. Then maybe barrel. Don't rebarell yet...Ive had great luck with rem barrels... Maybe the same smith can knock a 1/2" off and recrown. Shoot again. If it doesn't shoot now then consider making a lamp out of it.
-----Aron Karns at Hill Country Rifles can do a heluva job for a factory rem700.
-Swede

Ps...Ill give you xyz$

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.