Help me understand.

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to burn 50+ grains of powder in a 22 and get good barrel life, especially if you shoot strings of more than 2. I've owned several.

I thought it was pretty smart how Nighforce made subtensions in the SFP NX8 with values at 2 different powers and if I were wanting a SFP I would be looking for a reticle like that.

Any SFP scope can be used like that, they just might not have detents at the various magnification points.

Something that is 10mil/moa wide in the reticle at 24x will be 7.5 mil/moa wide at 18x, 5mil/moa wide in the reticle at 12x, and 2.5mil/moa wide at 6x.

Or

If your hash marks are 1mil/moa at 24x they will be 1.5mil/moa at 18x, 2 mil/moa at 12x, and 4 mil/moa at 6x

Detents or not, your unlikely to be exactly at whatever magnification you think you are unless at full zoom though so it's just estimation at that point

Love manipulating subtention apps. with reticles, iron sights and even archery sight pins.

Awhile back a buddy got an old Parker Hale 243 that used to be quite the shooter. He had a Nikon 3200 3-9X Nikoplex reticle on it. We weren't far from a prairie dog town so we thought to test it at long-range to see if there was any accuracy left in it. So I measured the plex post tip at 100 yds. on a cactus @9x, ran the ballistics then using maybe 3100 with an 80 gr. bullet (been awhile now). Can't remember what the MOA was at 500 yds. but knowing that reticle subtention is inversely proportional to magnification, I calcd. the magnification that would give us the required MOA we needed for the lower plex post tip to match the calculated 500-yd. zero, and it was something like 3.7X. So we cranked the scope to that power and my buddy gets set up on the edge of a prairie dog town. I lasered one on the bottom of a tepee butte right at 500. My buddy nailed the dog on the 2nd shot after allowing for a bit more windage than the 1st shot. He yelled out, "alright sniper"! I just chuckled. Nothing quite like subtention fun.

One benefit of FFP that I realized when I got my first suppressor- the suppressor lowers my barrel exactly 2.5MOA. So if I am shooting without it for whatever reason I need to correct 2.5MOA and I can do that at any magnification power without thinking too much.

I thought it was pretty smart how Nighforce made subtensions in the SFP NX8 with values at 2 different powers and if I were wanting a SFP I would be looking for a reticle like that.
Hmm....my 15 year old NP 2R reticle on my 8 - 32 NSX had 3 different sets of hash marks. The SAME lines were either 2 moa, 4 moa, or 8 moa....depending on weather i was on 8x , 16x, 0r 32x. I didn't NEED differnt hash marks. Same with my 5.5- 22------ 5.5x, 11x, or 22x. = 4 moa, 2 moa or 1 moa using the same hash marks. Putting extra hash marks on the reticle was nonsence, but since we all Dial, we don't care.

Tod

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.