Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 BT 4W. Help me understand my alternatives.

Very good input from all of you, and much appreciated. Looks like when sticking to my original criterion (magnification, weight, turret(s) and price), the leaders are the Swaro z5 and Leupold vx5 HD. As much as appreciate the other recommendations, they all are lacking in one way or the other.

I *think* one of the remaining options would be the Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50. It comes in at 22 oz. But the new Zeiss models are pretty untested and unreviewed, and it would be the most expensive option at $1700 or so. And lastly, I have 2 Zeiss scopes already, an older Conquest 4.5-14x50 and an HD5 5-25. Both are nice, the later is very nice. But I am distrustful of too many Zeiss scopes as I have heard too many horror stories about Zeiss customer service and warranty (versus the good ones heard about Leupold, for instance)....

I am leaning Leupold. Like one of you said -- Leupold on a custom rig seems right. BTW, I am not a German basher in the slightest. My family is German and I speak german. Some of my observations thought about German customer service and warranty service are based on broader experiences that were not always so positive. To be fair, German companies tend to have the attitude that "If you broke it, we don't have to fix it." Which is not so unreasonable, IF you only take the short term perspective....

BTW, the Leupold VX6-HD 3-18x44 is actually lighter than the VX5-HD, comes with illuminated reticle, as well as Leupy flip style lens caps. And is obviously 3x more power at the top. All for only approx $600 street price more..... So even though it is under my $2k theshold, I cannot seem to justify that......

Leupold itself admits in its comparison table that VX5-HD and VX6-HD use the same glass, coatings and gas filling. I am liking more and more.

I my self was in the same boat not long ago. I was looking at ,the vortex razor hd lh, the swaro z5 and the leupold vx5hd. I got the vx5hd 3-15x44 with the impact 29moa reticle, and I love it.

FYI Swarovski is an Austrian Company and the Z5 is one of the models made here in the US and you would be dealing with US customer service based on my understanding of it. I believe many of the parts are made In Austria and then sent here for final build of scope. I have not ever had a use their customer service but I have heard good things.
Very good input from all of you, and much appreciated. Looks like when sticking to my original criterion (magnification, weight, turret(s) and price), the leaders are the Swaro z5 and Leupold vx5 HD. As much as appreciate the other recommendations, they all are lacking in one way or the other.

I *think* one of the remaining options would be the Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50. It comes in at 22 oz. But the new Zeiss models are pretty untested and unreviewed, and it would be the most expensive option at $1700 or so. And lastly, I have 2 Zeiss scopes already, an older Conquest 4.5-14x50 and an HD5 5-25. Both are nice, the later is very nice. But I am distrustful of too many Zeiss scopes as I have heard too many horror stories about Zeiss customer service and warranty (versus the good ones heard about Leupold, for instance)....

I am leaning Leupold. Like one of you said -- Leupold on a custom rig seems right. BTW, I am not a German basher in the slightest. My family is German and I speak german. Some of my observations thought about German customer service and warranty service are based on broader experiences that were not always so positive. To be fair, German companies tend to have the attitude that "If you broke it, we don't have to fix it." Which is not so unreasonable, IF you only take the short term perspective....

Ordered a Leupold vx5-HD 3-15x44 today. Wind-plex with turrets. ebay seller. First option will be to check with Leupy to make sure its not a fake. At $809, that was a deal that seemed right, even though my budget was higher. The seller has 7 more.

Thank you all for the insights. I have only one other Leupold, but I'm hoping this will be a happy second unit. Should look real nice on the 700. It is matt finish, and the gun is glossy, but that little detail is hard to avoid these days.....

I always wondered if the only way to verify if a leup is a fake is by checking s/n then it tells me that maybe they are all made in china. Maybe the 'fake' ones are backdoor models, stolen shipments or rejects?

Ordered a Leupold vx5-HD 3-15x44. It is matt finish, and the gun is glossy, but that little detail is hard to avoid these days.....

Unfortunately extremely hard. My BAR sits with a vintage vx2 instead of an upgrade I seriously want because I can't get gloss.

I know in the past leupold custom shop would do it for you but can't seem to find much on that anymore since they did away with the online builder.

Poor glossy rifles

i have a Swarovski Z5 5-25x52mm . Its has very good optics ,also have a Zeiss V6 5-30x50mm with 30mm tube.The Z5 might have a very very small step better glass,but the 30mm tube on the V6 gets me on target much easier. If I had it to do again I might cry once and buy the Swarovski Z6 . Huge fan of 30-34mm tubes .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.