Help me understand sub .25 MOA

wjarrell

I'm new to long range hunting and shooting. (Shooting a 7mm Rem Mag) Can someone tell me what .1 MOA at 800 yards equates to in inches? This is all theoretical, If my scope adjusts in .5 MOA increments, adjusting for 15.4 MOA at 800 yards and I dial for 15.5 MOA, how many inches high am I going to be shooting?

I'm new to long range hunting and shooting. (Shooting a 7mm Rem Mag) Can someone tell me what .1 MOA at 800 yards equates to in inches? This is all theoretical, If my scope adjusts in .5 MOA increments, adjusting for 15.4 MOA at 800 yards and I dial for 15.5 MOA, how many inches high am I going to be shooting?

one moa = 1.047 inches at 100 yrds

Multiply that by your yardage

so 1 moa at 800 yrds = 1.047X8= 8.376 in

so a tenth of an moa at 800 yrds would be .8376 inches

I really don't think you will notice it

Thanks for the replies, that's really easy to understand! This is a hunting gun so ya you are probably right, I won't notice a difference.

Good to know the terminology too--

1 MOA = 1.047"/hundred yds.

1 IPHY is also referred to as SMOA (Shooters MOA), and rarely also referred to as Inch of Angle.

When you hear the term "sub-.25MOA, it is generally referring to the accuracy of the rifle and is not referring to anything having to do with the scope adjustment. Using the formulas discussed above, "sub .25MOA" would mean that shots fired into a group would cluster under .25MOA........superb accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.