help me understand Leupold

arawls88

Guys I'm trying to figure out if leupold makes a scope with locking turrets and a reticle besides duplex or bdc, their website has me so confused.

The VX6 scopes have a locking turret option.
If zero stop is what you are wanting, they offer a set of washers/shims that fit the M1 style dials that work well. I have them installed on my Mark 4 LR/T and I am happy with them.
As far as reticle options, they offer lots of options. Best thing for you to do is to call them and ask what reticle options are available for the specific scope you are interested in. It may require sending your scope to the custom shop.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

The VX-6 CDS-ZL scopes have the zero-lock on their elevation turret. You have to push the button on the turret before it will rotate and I believe it only locks when it's at zero. The windage turrets are capped but finger adjustable. These scopes come with the wind-plex reticle but you can have a variety of different reticles installed by Leupold. Your options for having that done are: Send your scope to Leupold and have them change it, or buy through the Leupold Custom Shop and set it up exactly how you want it. I think a reticle change costs $90. If you go to their site and select the CDS-ZL scope you want you can click on "Build Your Dream Scope" and see the reticle and turret options.

They do make a ton of different reticles. What I would do if I were you is try to get a catalog much easier to see what the all make . They have what they call a zero lock turret I just bought a VX6 with the ZL what it does is locks the elevation turret at zero and you have to push a button to unlock it and dial the turret.

Ok ill try to get a catalog then, would it be more cost efficient to buy directly from leupold or buy from a dealer and send it in?

The VX6 scopes have a locking turret option.
If zero stop is what you are wanting, they offer a set of washers/shims that fit the M1 style dials that work well. I have them installed on my Mark 4 LR/T and I am happy with them.
As far as reticle options, they offer lots of options. Best thing for you to do is to call them and ask what reticle options are available for the specific scope you are interested in. It may require sending your scope to the custom shop.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Hey what part of NE louisiana are you from? I'm in west carroll parish

Just some heads up on the vx6 zero lock. This feature will only give you one rotation of the turret. I spoke with a Leopold tech about two months ago and he said the were working on a retro fit zl turret that would give two rotations. He had no idea when it would be available. During the same call I asked about reticles for the vx6, you can send your scope into them and have basically any reticles they make put in the scope. Price was right around $150.

That shouldn't be too much of a worry for me, going on a 223 bolt gun. This may not be the best option for the gun but I've gotten so accustomed to my xrs that I was hoping leupold had something similar to offer.

Just some heads up on the vx6 zero lock. This feature will only give you one rotation of the turret. I spoke with a Leopold tech about two months ago and he said the were working on a retro fit zl turret that would give two rotations. He had no idea when it would be available. During the same call I asked about reticles for the vx6, you can send your scope into them and have basically any reticles they make put in the scope. Price was right around $150.

I wish I had seen this sooner. A friend just bought one of the Zero-Lock Leupold scopes only to discover that it won't go past one rotation (and not even a full rotation at that).

Can someone explain something to me......if your "Zero-Lock" doesn't let you rotate the turret more than a full rotation around, then why do you need a zero lock in the first place?

Isn't a zero lock supposed to tell you how MANY rotations you've gone around on your turret and allow you an easy way to know you've turned all the way back?

Leupold's Zero-Lock isn't that exactly. Its nothing more than an anti-rotational stopper. Good grief.

Whoever was sitting around the design session that developed a $1,800 scope with an advertised 75 MOA adjustment that won't turn past about 16 MOA ought to have their employment revoked.

they offer a set of washers/shims that fit the M1 style dials that work well. I have them installed on my Mark 4 LR/T and I am happy with them.

I too have this installed on my Vari-X III, 6.5-20x50mm Long Range and it appears to be a good compromise. I just got the washer kit about 4-5 days ago and installed it Sunday. I called Leupold beforehand to see if they had some way of installing their version of zero stop on my scope and that's when I found out about the free washer kit. The M1 kit is free but the other kit is $10. Not sure what turret it fits on. The kit I got has 3 red washers and 3 black washers, all different thickness.

I really like this scope but after owning/shooting a NXS with zero stop for over a year now, it's hard to look at the Leupold the way I did before. She's "lost that loving feeling". Still a good scope but I love NightForce's ZeroStop. :)

JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.