Help me decide on my 260 barrel

novaman64

Afer tons of readong on this site, and alot of thinking about what I wanna do with my Rem700 243 I decided i want to chamber it in 260. With that being said I want a barrel that will still be fun at the range (100yrds) as well as not be overkill for when I go hunting and have to pack the sucker around all day.

First off whats a good length of barrel for a 260 rem? I was thinking about doing a 22" or 24" #5 contour barrel, SS with flutes and a muzzle brake on it.... Any thoughts on what the min length is and contour so I wont comprimise long distance shooting but also so im not packing a big heavy rifle?

novaman,

I went through the same thing when I was building my 7-08, couldn't decide so I went with a 23" in a 6 contour. 22"-24" should be fine for a 260 unless you're trying to wring every last bit of speed out of it.

Mine turned out a little on the heavy side, wouldn't want to carry it constantly for a whole day, but its tolerable for moving from spot to spot and glassing a while. If I did it over a gain I'd drop down to a 5 or 4 for a hunting rig.

Chris

Cool, thanks for the info. Played with some ballistics calcs and looked up some loads. Decided on a 24" #5 (.700" at the muzzle) then gonna throw on a muzzle break, still dont know which one to go with (looking at the DE, PainKiller or the Muscle Brake). Gonna order it from Benchmark barrels out of Oregon. Al the reviews are great for them and they are pretty well priced too. Hopefully the misses wont notice the SS barrel or ill be in deep trouble!

Cool, thanks for the info. Played with some ballistics calcs and looked up some loads. Decided on a 24" #5 (.700" at the muzzle) then gonna throw on a muzzle break, still dont know which one to go with (looking at the DE, PainKiller or the Muscle Brake). Gonna order it from Benchmark barrels out of Oregon. Al the reviews are great for them and they are pretty well priced too. Hopefully the misses wont notice the SS barrel or ill be in deep trouble!

A 260 rem with a 24" #5 contour will not need a muzzle break unless you just want one.

Recoil is very mild and the break will force you to use ear protection all the time.

J E CUSTOM

I agree, 1/8 twist, HOWEVER, I would recommend a Schneider 5P (polygonal rifling) or a Mike Rock (Rock Creek) 5R. The odd number of lands and grooves is more easy on the bullets, JFYI.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.