Help Me Choose A 300 Win Mag

AZ Wildcat

I know variations of this have been asked before but maybe there's some newer information out there. I'm thinking of purchasing a 300 Win Mag. This will be a hunting rifle that I'll rarely shoot much beyond 500 yards. Certainly I'd consider 600-700 yards to be my max range. I'm looking for something with a bare weight not exceeding about 7 1/2 pounds with a price somewhere in the range of $1,000 to $1,500. Within these parameters my number one priority is accuracy. I'm not opposed to buying a good-condition used rifle.

I've largely narrowed my choices down to the Winchester M70 Extreme Weather (I've owned a number of Model 70s and loved all but one) or the Christensen Mesa. I'm also considering the Kimber Mountain Ascent and maybe even the Montana X2.

I'd love to hear some feedback from the community on these options. I'm also open to suggestions regarding post-purchase cost effective upgrades (bedding, etc) for a particular choice.

Finally, I'll most likely be adding a muzzle break to whatever I purchase if it doesn't already come with one and am looking for advice regarding the MB that would be most effective at reducing recoil.

I'm looking forward to the responses and thank you in advance for some advice!

If you could swing a few hundred more, the Christensen Ridgeline would be a great way to go!

Save you money,..Grice gun shop in Clear field PA has the T/C Compass in 300 wm on sale for $224.00..now how can you be at that !!!! Once the bullet leaves the barrel who knows what shot it,.,these el cheappo deluxe rifles will shoot great groups but the are ruff but who cares for almost the price of tax on those fancy jobs,.

That 7.5lbs thing is going to be difficult. The rifle Broz built for his 30 nosler 300 win mag comparison was built for light weight hunting. Titanium action, carbon wrapped barrel... Total package weight of 11lbs and a little more $1500... My bare Savage with a 24" sporter/pencil barrel was over 7.5. I think if you're willing to sacrifice in one area you may get what you want.

I agree 7.5 lbs will be hard to do. The Mountain Ascent will get you there. For me they are to light. I don't think I could shooot them accurately. The Ridgline as mentioned would be my first pick. Or build a custom. My 300 Win Mag is built with: Borden action, #3 Brux, Holland brake, Obendorf BM, Jewel trigger, Mcmillan Game Scout (standard fill), NF SHV, Tally light weight. Finished at 10 lb 2 oz. A very nice handling rifle and super accurate.

I know you're looking for 7.5#.
But the Savage 111 long range Hunter is light enough for a 300 win mag. It comes equipped with a factory muzzle brake. A better than average factory stock, and a decent trigger.

Take a look at the Remington MilSpec 700. I purchased one in 300WM after owning a few 308's which were all nicely finished in stainless with the excellent HS Precision stock. They are very accurate, .25-.35MOA. My 300WM has proven out to give the same performance. I did replace all my Milspec triggers with Jewels or Timney's . Prices seem to be running in the $1100-1200 range.

I know variations of this have been asked before but maybe there's some newer information out there. I'm thinking of purchasing a 300 Win Mag. This will be a hunting rifle that I'll rarely shoot much beyond 500 yards. Certainly I'd consider 600-700 yards to be my max range. I'm looking for something with a bare weight not exceeding about 7 1/2 pounds with a price somewhere in the range of $1,000 to $1,500. Within these parameters my number one priority is accuracy. I'm not opposed to buying a good-condition used rifle.

I've largely narrowed my choices down to the Winchester M70 Extreme Weather (I've owned a number of Model 70s and loved all but one) or the Christensen Mesa. I'm also considering the Kimber Mountain Ascent and maybe even the Montana X2.

I'd love to hear some feedback from the community on these options. I'm also open to suggestions regarding post-purchase cost effective upgrades (bedding, etc) for a particular choice.

Finally, I'll most likely be adding a muzzle break to whatever I purchase if it doesn't already come with one and am looking for advice regarding the MB that would be most effective at reducing recoil.

I'm looking forward to the responses and thank you in advance for some advice!

Take a look at the Remington MilSpec 700. I purchased one in 300WM after owning a few 308's which were all nicely finished in stainless with the excellent HS Precision stock. They are very accurate, .25-.35MOA. My 300WM has proven out to give the same performance. I did replace all my Milspec triggers with Jewels or Timney's . Prices seem to be running in the $1100-1200 range.

Gotta agree with Greyfox, the 5R Milspec rifles are just about the most accurate factory rifle you will ever buy. I have a few myself, in .308 Win and .300 WinMag...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...olt+Action+Centerfire/REM+700+5-R+300WM+26+SS

And you will not be disappointed in this purchase. You will however, want to immediately swap the trigger to a Timney or Jewell trigger.

Here's a couple picture of mine...

Attachments

• IMG_7069.JPG
    IMG_7069.JPG
    963.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_7070.JPG
    IMG_7070.JPG
    975.1 KB · Views: 176
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.