Help! Long range hunting build...

Thanks guys! I appreciate the posts!

FEENIX, right now I'm shooting a 7 WSM and a 6.5x47.

Your 7 WSM is very capable at your target range goal to include elk ...

I will be hunting whitetail deer @ a max range of 600-700 yards. !

If you just a bigger bore that's a different story. IIWY and money is no object, out of the 3 choices, I'd go with the .338 LM, but that's just me.

Good luck!

Thanks again for all the posts. I've narrowed it down to the 338 Lapua or the 300 Norma but more than likely will be going 300 Norma.

yeah, the 300 Norma would be cool. But starting out with factory ammo would be a killer. Looks like between $85-90 per box of 20. That would kill me.

rolling our own... then yeah. That'd be a fun round. :cool:

Thanks again for all the posts. I've narrowed it down to the 338 Lapua or the 300 Norma but more than likely will be going 300 Norma.
Before pulling the trigger on a new ultra mag of any sort I alway shave the same advice.

Do yourself a big favor and find someone that will let you run a box of shells through theirs.

I've seen a whole lot of ridiculously cheap very nice large case (Rum and Above) sell for pennies on the dollar after a guy spent a couple of years and thousands of dollars putting one together only to then find out he couldn't stand the recoil, blast, and dust signature.

"Like New", "Barely USed", "Low mileage one owner "XYZ cannon for sale dirt cheap!

Thanks, yes I have considered the recoil and that doesn't bother me like it might some others. With a good brake, even a 338 Lapua is manageable. This particular build is not one I am going to be shooting all the time either.

What action are you going to use?

If I go full custom, it will be a Badger M2013 w/ the 60 degree bolt lift. If I go with something "factory", I'm strongly considering the Christensen Arms. Right now, I'm running a Surgeon and Defiance Deviant. I want to try something new/different and the 60 degree bolt lift has struck my interest.

300shorty,

There is nothing wrong with the 2013 action, it's designed like a fortress! I'm running a couple of these with a .338 Norma Mag and a 7-300 Norma Mag. They are both dependable under all kinds of conditions.

If you'd like to consider something new and different, I suggest that you take some time to review the new Cadex 3-lug (60 degree) and 4-lug (50 degree) actions.

CADEX DEFENCE FLIPBOOK CATALOG

CADEX DEFENCE FLIPBOOK CATALOG

These can be a 700 footprint or in the case of the larger actions, a Cadex footprint.

For a cartridge, any of the larger .30 caliber cases will be a terrific choice if only due to the number of great bullets available.

Regards.

You don't need a build, just buy the Savege 110 FCP. It will be better than all your expectations.

With your choices and they are your choices I would go with the 338 lapua with a brake just because you live where there are whitetails does not mean you wont be in Alaska hunting moose in the rain. I shoot a 338 edge and love it so what if there guts fly.

With your choices and they are your choices I would go with the 338 lapua with a brake just because you live where there are whitetails does not mean you wont be in Alaska hunting moose in the rain. I shoot a 338 edge and love it so what if there guts fly.

This is very true and good point made!

This is very true and good point made!

Yep, that's why I noted as such ...

If you just a bigger bore that's a different story. IIWY and money if no object, out of the 3 choices, I'd go with the .338 LM, but that's just me.

If I go full custom, it will be a Badger M2013 w/ the 60 degree bolt lift. If I go with something "factory", I'm strongly considering the Christensen Arms. Right now, I'm running a Surgeon and Defiance Deviant. I want to try something new/different and the 60 degree bolt lift has struck my interest.

Check out the http://www.bighornarms.com/ actions.

[ame]https://youtu.be/ZSM3CYOcGgI?t=2[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/rWB4sPNFyWY?t=88[/ame]