Help! Long range hunting build...

300shorty,

Still interested in the Christensen Arms if anybody has anything to say about their rifles?

Most of us dislike being critical of factory or semi-custom rifles, there are too many variables which can change a decision unless it's a comparison on a one-to-one basis.

Christensen Arms has been around a long time which can indicate that they are doing something right. However, they have had their rough times over the last couple of decades. I have had to fix several that arrived in less than satisfactory condition without the company standing behind the fixes. I have rebarreled several when their 'carbon fiber' barrels didn't shoot worth a hoot. All of this took place several years ago before I stopped screwing around with them.

Recently I have read reviews of their work and builds which have been very positive. Something may have changed at the company and things are on the upswing, I don't know for a fact.

I, like many others, share a common prejudice about having custom rifles made by small or one-man shops where quality is the primary goal along with customer satisfaction. The larger 'factory' shops don't seem to have the customer relationship that the smaller shops do. But, this is your choice and money to put it where you perceive the best opportunity exists.

Regards.

If you go full custom I would look at Defensive edge Shawn has some good rifles at not to much money and this cowboy is shooting some distance in the field with some proof behind it.

Thanks, guys. I will keep everybody posted as to which route I go on this rifle. In the meantime, feel free to keep posting your opinions. I always enjoy a good discussion on long range builds.

I don't believe in overkill .i hunt coyotes with a 7mm mag .after owning a 300 rum and 300 win mag .i sold the rum .not enough differnence in the real world in performance but the price of ammo and not being able to find any ammo for the 300 rum was the issue for me .every deer I shot with the rum and the win mag have been bang flop except with Barns TTSX bullet .then neither gun would dropped deer .

Anybody familiar with the Cadex Defence rifles?

I have been working with Cadex Defense for the last 6 years approximately, either with the chassis' or their actions and accessories. They are superb folks to work with and are extremely attentive to every little detail regarding their products. Their packaging and instructions are the best in the industry, no holds barred.

But, this all comes with a price. They ARE a Defense contractor so their prices are necessarily high due to the requirements of governments buying military products. They are also Canadian and even though the exchange rate favors the U.S., Cadex more than makes up for this in their prices. You are buying, in my opinion, the best this industry has to offer both in products and the support the company offers.

If I was buying a rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to look at and purchase a Cadex rifle. But since I build, I buy their products and create my own for my clients.

Regards.

What is your dream hunt or hunt's ?? For me depends what I'am going after and where !! I carried a lot of different toys but my best hunting partner only carried one . A Winchester westerner in 264 Win Mag with a custom Hart barrel ( shot out the previous ones ) and did the same hunts that I was doing and all with ONE , that's ONE SHOT . A guide made me take a 2nd shot on a caribou once and that was the only time it happened to me Bullet placement, was it O'Kief who said a 270 will take any animal in North America - bullet placement !!!!!! that's all he used . My favorite of all times for hunting 7 mm Rem Mag , Weatherby Mk V action, Hart 28 inch tube ( tight chamber - throated a little longer to relieve psi and seat the bullets - etc etc and it played out just right,. My 280 custom right up there also. Have too many favorites heck they are all my favorites , RIGHT !! Pick one or two or three or four and enjoy, have fun and shot straight & often. Which ever you decide will be you favorite .

I'm looking to build a long range hunting rig and cannot decide which caliber I want to go with. My options are the 300 Norma, 300 RUM, and possibly 338 Lapua. I understand the two 300's mentioned above are bbl burners but this would be a hunting setup so it's not like I would be shooting all the time. I will be hunting whitetail deer @ a max range of 600-700 yards. I plan on hand loading but that will be a project down the road. So for now, I'd be starting off with factory ammo. I understand factory ammo is limited given my selection of calibers but seems like there is still a decent amount of options out there. I'm trying to weigh my options between all three calibers but I am having a hard time deciding which way to go.

Weight is not necessarily a factor. I don't mind a heavier gun because we don't have mountains in the south!

As far as the actual build/specs, I am between a full custom build or a factory build, i.e. Christensen Arms, in which I am very intrigued by at the moment.

Now, before anybody says anything, I know what you're thinking. Could I achieve this goal with a smaller caliber such as 6.5, .308, 30-06, or 7mm? Yes, absolutely. However, I am and have always wanted a big bore hunting rig so my mind is made up that this will be the direction I'm going.

With that said, any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to all comments and suggestions.

Thanks!
So after every single post I've ever read, the only conclusion I can truthfully come up with, no matter what caliber of rifle, no matter what bullet no matter what animal, is I dont think I've ever seen one too dead. Build what suits your desires, if it's a 22 or a 50 cal. Bottom line is dead is dead. Build your dream, and if it is not what you are looking for, well I guess you get to build another one! There is so much Information, and it makes it easy to get sidetracked. Best advice build what you want. Try it and if you don't like it build the next. Welcome to trying to find perfection, it does not exsist. But I would kill an animal with a sling shot, or the biggest rifle on the planet. End of the day dead is dead, just be happy to have the chance to do it!