Long range build

Delcollob

I have model 700 action. I'm looking to change the bolt and the barrle to a 338 or a 300 ultra mag. What needs to happen to make this posable ? Any suggestions on that and what barrel I should use ?

It may be easier to trade or sell your current Remington and get one that was made as a Remington Ultra Mag. While the bolt face can be opened up to magnum diameter by a gunsmith, the feed rails will also have to be opened to accommodate the larger diameter case.

As for a barrel: you could go inexpensive and get a new Rem takeoff barrel for either chambering for approx. $60. After that you would have to get a custom barrel by any number of manufacturers. Here is a list of many of the custom barrel makers with a few explanations thanks to Accurate Shooter's website:

Premium Barrels

Once you get the barrel of your choice, it will have to be installed by a gunsmith. The takeoffs would require checking headspace requiring a possible setback and rechambering. The new barrels will require several machining operations to get it installed to your action.

Hope that helps.

I have model 700 action. I'm looking to change the bolt and the barrle to a 338 or a 300 ultra mag. What needs to happen to make this posable ? Any suggestions on that and what barrel I should use ?

You can get this for the Rem 700 gives you little extra for the ultra mag
MBE-3 Magazine Box, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.

I have pretty good gunsmith that builds my rifles and like the 700 bolt you can order a new one sell your old one.

Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. - Remington Performance Parts

Lots of option for the rem action.

Gunsmith in business to make money he's going to charge you the same as if you purchased direct so I just as soon he makes the money same with ordering a barrel. I also think it's good idea to get the gunsmith in the planning on a future build and most gunsmith have barrels they like to use.

Gunsmith I'm using has put on Mike Rock,Bartlein,Lilja,Kreiger,Shilen and Hart barrels for me and he's got pretty good in with those guys.

Everyone I think has different way they plan and have something build.

Well good luck

Also I have a 7mm with a 5-20 and a dial turret on it. It only has 1/8 moa adjustment. I run out of travel at 820 or so. It's sitting on a 20 moa rail to. Is there any thing I can do to get more moa out of it ?

Yes, you could more easily make a 300 win mag out of your 30-06. The bolt face has to be opened up. No feed rail work would be necessary. It would probably feed just fine.

As for more elevation. Start with a higher point of impact at 100 yds. Replace the 20 MOA with a 30 MOA or even a 40 MOA picatinny rail.

It's sighted in dead on at 300 yards. It's a Howa 1500 in a 7mm. So far I'm really impressed with it. I'm shooting 168gn burgers. I can get about a5-6" group at 750. Any tips to make that group smaller or is that a good group ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.