Long Range Build

Prvbs 27:17

Looking to build a long range rifle 0-1000+ Yrds will be the distance. Used for deer/bear. Wanting to build it off a Remy 700 action. Not sure what barrel brand to go with yet as I am still deciding on the caliber

Possible calibers:

7mmRUM
7mmwsm
7mmSAUM

300Win
300RUM

Which would you use and why? Please mention other calibers if you have other opinions/experiences.

I use BERGARA for my rem 700 builds. I use the 26" varmint contour 26" S.S. and do it myself. I've done 4 so far and all are extremely accurate. I have a .300 Win Mag bbl left that i'd sell if your interested PM me.

In a Rem. 700 action it would be VERY hard to overlook the results just about everyone is having with their 338 Edge.

I would stay away from the 7 RUM due to barrel wear. I'm shooting 162 A-max from my 7 SAUM at 3057 fps with H1000. I have a 28" Brux barrel with a 1-8.5 twist. I've grouped 4 rounds in 2.5" at 804 yds with good conditions. I love my 7 SAUM, but if I were you I would research the 7mm Practical. It's a 300 WM necked to 7mm and puts up some impressive velocities and accuracy. Here's some info on it. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.