First long range build

I am new to the site but have been reading for a year or so and you guys seem to know what your talking about. I'm also new to long range shooting. I'm building a .300 win mag and thinking I will go with the Stiller tac 300, timney trigger, McMillan A-5, Badger rings. Still undecided on a barrel and who will put it all together for me. I'm in Louisiana and have heard good things about Louisiana Precision Rifles. Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Longrangesheriif,

William Roscoe is a good builder, I've known him through the internet since he got into this business. He used to hang out on Snipershide mostly before he got really busy and SH started charging for membership.

There are no secrets in this business, most of the new people who have entered into it have been trained by those of us (I'm not saying I trained William...) who have been in it for a long time. There's lots of work to be done and the more quality builders the better.

William is one of those who believes in customer service and that alone should encourage you to give him a call to discuss your project.

Best.

Personally, I think there are better triggers available for that Rem. 700 pattern action, unless you're looking at the Calvin Elite. They're not a Jewell, but they're darned close and a bit lower in price. I'm coming up on 4 months wait on a McMillan stock. My customer is getting "antcy", but I explained the wait time when we started.

Longrangesheriif,

Unless I'm just missing it, you haven't stated whether you want a hunting rifle or a target rifle or one for a combination of both.

The McM A5 is typically a tactical or target rifle although I've build quite a few for hunters who like the ergonomics of that stock. I prefer the A3 for hunting but again that's up to you. These stock can be found ready to ship on Mcmillan's 'special for sale' part of their website.

https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-gunstock-specials/

If they don't have one of the style you want right now, give it a couple of weeks to see what the next batch of stocks has to offer. Then again you can always try Stocky's but I find that they don't have anything for a decent price that I can't get somewhere else by doing a little searching.

Tom Manners also has a ready ship section so give it a gander as well. Sometimes you can find one there that is ready in the configuration you want with no waiting or just a little waiting if you need a small amount of work done; paint, bottom metal, etc.

The new models of Timney triggers are just like Leupold scopes, over priced and under delivered. The only reason they cost as much as they do is because Timney jumped the price points up to stay in balance with Jewell and a couple of others so they didn't appear to be the economy brand anymore. The dumbest buy right now are the Bix & Andy's at over $400.00 just for a trigger. Yes they're nice but $400.00 for a trigger is stupid. There is nothing wrong with a Jewell in a hunting rifle as long as you keep it clean, just like any other trigger which can get dirty with use and environmentally contentious situations.

Jerry makes an O.K. action if you simply want a Remington for more money. My first choice would be a Defiance action in the configuration you want. Personally, you can find a stainless steel Remington and get it blueprinted while still having a custom rifle. Resale value will not be as high as with a true custom action but Stiller's aren't at the top of that list either. For potential resale I'd go with a Defiance, Surgeon or Borden.

The .300 Win. Mag. is a great choice for either hunting or long range target. There is a huge and ever growing selection of bullets, brass is available and there is a ton of reloading information on the internet or in print.

Enjoy the process!

sable tireur

Looking to build a gun that can do both but will mostly be used for hunting. Id like to do some long range target shooting but nothing serious.
Interesting info on the Timney, havent heard anything like that. Thoughts on Shilen?
I was in between the Stiller and Defiance but you may have made my mind up. I have heard good and bad things about the Stiller and nothing but good about defiance. Seems to be cadillac.

Longrangesheriif,

That's what I forgot to cover, barrels!

#1 BARTLEIN no others compare. I've run well over 2,000 of these barrels in the last few years and they are the straightest barrels by far. You might find and call out the exceptions but they are exceptions for sure. I've seen everything touted as the best on here including Green Mountain from some poor guy...

#2 Krieger - Second because they thought they didn't have to compete with Bartlein... boy did they get a surprise!

Brux, Benchmark, Criterion, Lilja, Rock Creek, Schneider, Broughton bring up the remaining potentials of getting a good one. I have used dozens of Gary Schneider's M40 barrels in .30 cal. which are superb.

Barrels ready to ship are available from Bugholes, Grizzly and a handful of others but the availability shifts quickly. Bartlein is nearly maxed out on production so you might wait 6 months for a custom order. However, if you can work with standard contours from a supplier with some in stock, I'd suggest doing that.

Regards.

Sable Tireur

Thanks a million for your input. I was leaning towards Bartlein already. Really posting on here to verify that the top names are worth the money and it sounds like they are. I dont want to cut any corners. I want a gun that I dont have to question at distance. If my shots are off, I need more practice!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.