New Long Range Hunting Build Help

huntfish7mm

I'm lining out the parts for a new build. I currently have a 28 Nosler built off a rem 700 along with a 6.5 max built off a tikka in an ag stock. Both shoot amazing. Wanting something new though but I can't decide on cartridge. Primarily hunting deer. I was thinking 25 Sherman short tactical. But was also kind of wanting something I could buy factory ammo for. Be a short barrel most likely 20" so want something efficient. Was looking at 7prc but I have the 28 to cover my 7s. Anything else cool I should eyeing? Let's hear your scope recommendations for 3k and under for a lightweight hunting build. Leaning towards mark 5 3-18

Parts List:
-MDT HNT26 chassis
-Tikka Action
-Proof CF barrel
-Bix n Andy trigger
-Banish Backcountry can
-need scope recommendations too

For deer hunting, 6 Creedmoor is the easy button. Plenty of great factory ammo options and very easy to load for. I've got an 18" 6 CM and it's awesome, especially with a suppressor.

With your Tikka action, I'd also consider a 300 WSM - although this will depend on whether or not you went Tikka Long or Tikka short action when ordering your chassis. To optimize the 300 WSM on the Tikka, you'd want the LA.

The problem I run into is there are too many "cool" options out there. It sounds like you have the fire breathing 6.5 and 7 bore covered. Factory ammo is a limiting factor, but I understand the desire for this just in case situation where you need ammo in pinch. You are going to have to decide what you want next. A coyote/varmint cartridge that can also work well on deer, or a 30 that will serve you well at long range and have more factory ammo opportunities. I've been toying with the idea of 30WSM. It probably won't do anything your 28N won't already cover, but who cares. Light weight scopes around 3K puts you in range of the March F or Compact depending on if you want FFP or SFP. They are hard to beat in the light weight category. Have fun with this and keep us posted.

hnt 26.jpg

I did a stainless fluted barrel. it's actually getting cerakote now.
I did a 284 win-improved. This started before 7 PRC was a thing, I'd have to heavily consider that one. IMO 7mm is the happy medium to shoot any big game in North America which is a desirable ability for your main hunting rifle.

buddy did a similar build and used a carbon barrel and his is like a pound lighter. I'll prob do a carbon barrrel next time.

View attachment 417883
I did a stainless fluted barrel. it's actually getting cerakote now.
I did a 284 win-improved. This started before 7 PRC was a thing, I'd have to heavily consider that one. IMO 7mm is the happy medium to shoot any big game in North America which is a desirable ability for your main hunting rifle.

buddy did a similar build and used a carbon barrel and his is like a pound lighter. I'll prob do a carbon barrrel next time.
What scope is that? And looks like you added a different grip

For deer hunting, 6 Creedmoor is the easy button. Plenty of great factory ammo options and very easy to load for. I've got an 18" 6 CM and it's awesome, especially with a suppressor.

With your Tikka action, I'd also consider a 300 WSM - although this will depend on whether or not you went Tikka Long or Tikka short action when ordering your chassis. To optimize the 300 WSM on the Tikka, you'd want the LA.
I haven't bought the chassis yet until I decide. 25 can be done in the SA but that's all I can think that I'll build in a SA. So for future builds I'm leaning towards getting the LA and figuring it out from there.

The problem I run into is there are too many "cool" options out there. It sounds like you have the fire breathing 6.5 and 7 bore covered. Factory ammo is a limiting factor, but I understand the desire for this just in case situation where you need ammo in pinch. You are going to have to decide what you want next. A coyote/varmint cartridge that can also work well on deer, or a 30 that will serve you well at long range and have more factory ammo opportunities. I've been toying with the idea of 30WSM. It probably won't do anything your 28N won't already cover, but who cares. Light weight scopes around 3K puts you in range of the March F or Compact depending on if you want FFP or SFP. They are hard to beat in the light weight category. Have fun with this and keep us posted.
I have a vx6hd in SF and a NF nx8 in ffp and I love them both haha. I'm not really seeing the want for a 300wsm. If I build a 30 it would be so I could push the 230+ at close to 3000. I ram the numbers and the 25sst with a 135 will outperform the 7prc with a 180 berg in all aspects besides energy to 1000