New Long Range Build Complete

COBrad

IMG_0557.PNG
IMG_0536.jpg

I wanted a relatively light weight long range rifle for marmots, and elk across a canyon I hunt. After a lot of research and consultation with Jaden Miller at West Elk Precision in Grand Junction Colorado, this is what he built for me. Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action, Bartlien 3B fluted 25" barrel, APA muzzle brake, Trigger Tech, Manners EH-1 CF stock, Ken Farrell rings, NF ATACR 5-25 scope. I had a 6.5 PRC barrel and a .300 WSM barrel spun up. This group is with the WSM barrel at 1317 yards. I shot two groups at this range to verify ballistic inputs and check zero. Both were half MOA,
Load is 215 grain Berger Hybrids, 65 grain RL26, Federal 215 primers and Norma brass. Getting 2817 fps with this load. I got to 66.4 grains before seeing pressure. Throat was cut so I'm at jam with the shank/boattail junction at the neck/case body junction. I believe it's at 88 thou freebore. According to my bathroom scale rifle weight as pictured is 11 lbs.

View attachment 310978View attachment 310979

I wanted a relatively light weight long range rifle for marmots, and elk across a canyon I hunt. After a lot of research and consultation with Jaden Miller at West Elk Precision in Grand Junction Colorado, this is what he built for me. Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action, Bartlien 3B fluted 25" barrel, APA muzzle brake, Trigger Tech, Manners EH-1 CF stock, Ken Farrell rings, NF ATACR 5-25 scope. I had a 6.5 PRC barrel and a .300 WSM barrel spun up. This group is with the WSM barrel at 1317 yards. I shot two groups at this range to verify ballistic inputs and check zero. Both were half MOA,
Load is 215 grain Berger Hybrids, 65 grain RL26, Federal 215 primers and Norma brass. Getting 2817 fps with this load. I got to 66.4 grains before seeing pressure. Throat was cut so I'm at jam with the shank/boattail junction at the neck/case body junction. I believe it's at 88 thou freebore. According to my bathroom scale rifle weight as pictured is 11 lbs.

Love your top photo...

At 1300 yards, I'd measure vertical spread, and disregard the wind deflection in group measurements. Nice rifle.

Recent Posts