Want to Build Ultimate Long range 300 WM Hunting Rifle Help

If I were you, I'd just get a Christensen Arms MPR in 300 win mag and call it a day.
Here's one at 8.4 pounds, and for $2,400.00, go ahead and tell me you can do better building yourself.

Last edited:
I had a 300 wm heavyweight bullet setup for a few years, and enjoyed it. It was before the 300PRC, 30 Nosler, etc. I did for fun, and I learned a lot. I still have the rifle, it is a plain jane Browning A-bolt with BOSS that i bought off my cousin. One of my dad's iron worker buddies who had a lathe in his garage and a reloading press setup in the living room talked me into it and helped me. I watched that guy reload stuff all the time with a Marlboro hanging off his lower lip. He's still at it today, but uses nicotine gum. Cigarettes are too expensive i guess.

I think my OAL was somewhere around 3.620 or so. I ended up just single loading it because the Brownings are almost impossible to run with over-length cartridges. Wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be loading one at a time, at least the browning has an easy to reach bolt release so unloading a live round was easy enough.

I decided to throat out my rifle just a bit to get a some jump in it to run the longer bullets seated out in the case neck without stuffing them way down deep into the case. That's the only way I'd do it, seating them way out. Otherwise I would suggest some of the newer cartridges because the WM just doesn't quite keep up with the pace if you stuff them deep. I know, we tried.

I shot 200 grain bullets mostly, and felt I was slightly limited by twist rate but i didnt have the bullets we have now. I had plenty of success with it out to 1k, about as far as I cared to shoot. Mostly shot at rocks the size of a hay bale at that range. Killed and elk super easy at about 800 just like it actually wanted to get in the truck for us. I never really worked up much ballistics with it, used a fair bit of Kentucky windage because the scope I had didn't give me enough elevation past 800. Didn't have a chronograph back then either, we used the charts in the back of the Nosler manual and guesstimated. Then I'd get lucky and hit a small rock with it and always would want to go back to the same holdover. Young and dumb I guess.

To stretch it out further with that particular rifle, looking back I would have wanted a better scope with a 20 MOA rail setup, a little bit faster twist and a different bullet. That's another advantage to the newer cartridge/ammo offerings. I really liked the rifle even with the shorter lighter barrel because of the BOSS, so much that I still have it.

Since you're building from scratch, you can avoid the twist rate issue. You need to find an action/magazine you can load Looooonnngg if you want the Win Mag to really shine. Try to control the runout as much as you feasibly can. Especially if you're wanting to go up to stuff bigger than 212 or 225 gr. I'm not really sure you will make out as well as you expect with the 250 amax, but you will be the judge of your own success.

If i were to do another big daddy 300 WM for myself today, I would probably take a free head start and begin with a Christensen Mesa LR and just be done with all the action/mag length hassle. They are pretty long boxed. I've had a couple Christensens and never a complaint. Just my opinion.

I do have a friend that currently has a 300PRC and it is very nice, and it shoots 208gr Barnes bullets very well. Under 800 its a sledgehammer. That's as far as I have seen it shoot. One time we had to bail out quick and take a 575 yard shot without much prep time....piece of cake. Very impressive. But you are here to hear about the WM, so I will say that you will probably be very happy if you do it right. I could confidently say my old A bolt 300 wm would have done most things as easy as his does. Especially on this continent.

I have a .300 and a .340 Weatherby Mk V's and either would do what you desire. Probably save yourself some money VS. putting one together.
Keep under 250gr and the .340 recoil is tolerable.
Check Weatherby site as they run some sales on rifles and ammo from time to time.
Pic is .300 sight in 3 shot groups. .340 is in camo stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Weatherby Mk 5  .300mag target.jpg
    Weatherby Mk 5 .300mag target.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 45
  • .300 weatherby 001.jpg
    .300 weatherby 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
In the MPR can I use the AICS CIP 3.850 Mags or limited to the 3.715
My Ruger RPR 300 WM have the CIP 3.850 and work awesome. Gun is just to **** heavy to walk up mountains but works wonders from a stand

Here is an example of what I mean by having a custom reamer made and throating the 300 Win Mag long and seating the bullet out to up the performance.

On the left is a 300 WM with a 210 VLD set at SAAMI length of 3.340"; on the right is the same but with the bullet seated out to the neck/shoulder junction @ 3.670". Notice how much the bullet protrudes into the case when set at SAAMI length.

FE798577-8DB2-494C-9CC4-B26293F9D7F6.jpeg

8DE4AADD-D7AE-435D-83FF-29F5812C428E.jpeg

Here is the 300 WM on the right, 30 Nosler on the left. Both with the 210 VLD seated at the neck/shoulder junction.

33FE0FBD-A7FF-47A6-BEA3-4812D5644327.jpeg

Here is an example of what I mean by having a custom reamer made and throating the 300 Win Mag long and seating the bullet out to up the performance.

On the left is a 300 WM with a 210 VLD set at SAAMI length of 3.340"; on the right is the same but with the bullet seated out to the neck/shoulder junction @ 3.670". Notice how much the bullet protrudes into the case when set at SAAMI length.

View attachment 337728

View attachment 337731

Here is the 300 WM on the right, 30 Nosler on the left. Both with the 210 VLD seated at the neck/shoulder junction.

View attachment 337732
Man, thats a good looking 30 nosler. I had one for a couple years and if I had somebody cut the chamber like that for me, I'd probably still have it. Very nice.

Good looking Win Mag too. It's like seeing an old girlfriend. At the bar. Solo.

YeeYee

This would be my first custom would like 12lbs or less completely setup.
Below are my thoughts but No first hand experience.
Want A Chassis System
Need 3.85 mag box or longer
26 inch Bartlein 5R Barrel maybe Carbon fiber 1-8 twist
Best Action possible without breaking several banks also Best Trigger group possible
Looking at a Mark 5HD 7x35 x56
All thoughts appreciated
So if your build is easily attenable, but if your going to shoot monos out of a 1-8 twist they need to be plus 199 grain. The problem with a 1-8 twist with 180-210 cup and core bullets is you will more than likely have jacket separation in flight due to the faster twist rate. Now I'm sure I'm going to get called full of s*** on this, but if you want to shoot cup n core and monos, your best bet is 1-9. Now if you want to shoot the heavies you will get away with it +220 grain. But a 180-200gr cup and core in a 1-8 you more than likely not have an in tact bullet.

So if your build is easily attenable, but if your going to shoot monos out of a 1-8 twist they need to be plus 199 grain. The problem with a 1-8 twist with 180-210 cup and core bullets is you will more than likely have jacket separation in flight due to the faster twist rate. Now I'm sure I'm going to get called full of s*** on this, but if you want to shoot cup n core and monos, your best bet is 1-9. Now if you want to shoot the heavies you will get away with it +220 grain. But a 180-200gr cup and core in a 1-8 you more than likely not have an in tact bullet.
Also that statement was made for a 300RUM not a 300 Win Mag. Apologies.

Assuming 3100fps with a 180 grain bullet with 8 twist he will be under the 300,000 rpm threshold (279,000 calculated). My 6.5-284 shoots 3072fps with 140 Bergers with an 8 twist barrel (276,480 rpm) and I haven't had any issues with bullets coming apart. I believe the jacket is likely thick enough on most medium/big game hunting bullets that there won't be a problem with them coming apart.