Help Educate Me on First Wildcat - REAMERS required for the project?

300magman

I like playing around with my own cartridge ideas and often think I can make improvements on standard rounds to make them suit my particular liking better, but I have never attempted a wildcat before.

How many reamers and which ones would I need to end up with a top quality barrel chambered for a new wildcat with a custom neck diameter, throating specificially for the bullet I want to shoot, and a set of seater and neck sizer dies? (Have I forgotten anything?)

From what I understand, PTG could make just about anything I asked for, but I don't know enough about what I would need to estimate what kind of cost I would be looking at.

You might try re-posting this under Gunsmithing.

If you call PTG, you should be able to speak with Dave Kiff. He can fix you up. I think they have some reamer templates on their website that you can doctor up and send in.

If this is your first wildcat from scratch, I'd suggest finding someone with a similar idea (ideally someone who's done that before) and collaborating with them.

Unless you're trying to patent something proprietary, it might save you a lot of time and money by getting it feedback on your ideas from the many experts (and a few not so experts) that subscribe to these forums.

Be safe!
-- richard

You might ask whomever you plan for finishing your barrel & dies.
For my last wildcat(26WSSM) I bought roughing, finishing, and sizing reamers(from Pacific).
But the gunbuilder I used didn't use the rough reamer(he drills instead).
My reamers were floating with a 10 bushing kit.

There are a variety of approaches and favored tools though. Some prefer to cut the throat with a throating reamer.
It is worth it to hold your own reamers, and I think it's beneficial to have 2 barrels finished at the same time. With my last barrel swap I did not have to change a thing with my brass or load. My brass didn't chnge in the new barrel, the load held, and I don't FL size.
But might have been a bit of luck on that one..

Also be sure to have a headspace gizzy cut from the barrel stub.
I had wilson die blanks(seating/NS) chambered at the same time also. Then I had JLC Precision make me a bump die from fireformed brass.

Thank you for the very detailed answer. There is one question that I still have however.
Is a throating reamer universal to caliber, or does it vary by catridge....or neighter? I was just thinking that if the answer is option one, I wouldn't need to bother with it as most smiths who do chambering work would already have it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.