Educate me on Extractors

300magman

I'm in the middle of trying to put together my first custom rifle, it will be a very high pressure chambering and a field gun used for hunting in several terrains and temperatures.

This has me thinking about extractors. What is the strongest (safest) extractor to use in a high pressure chambering? And is it also the most reliable under field conditions?

As far as custom actions go, is there usually a choice of extractor type?
Have makers generally agreed on the "industry standard" extractor, and all generally use the same type?
Or will the choice of extractor possibly mean having to choose one action maker over another?

Most custom rifle makers use some (make) of a Sako extractor, not necessarily sako but the sako style and they are effective and reliable.

When it comes to safety Sako extractors are dead last. A minor primer piercing can blow a Sako extractor out and down the bolt lug raceway, headed right toward your face, or shoulder. The only place a Sako extractor is safe is in a Sako, a right bolt left port, left bolt right port or Lawton action. In the Lawton it is captive in the bolt lug so the only way for it to get out is for the receiver ring to open up, then you got a lot more to worry about than just the extractor coming your way.

The safest would be a Remington.

James

Load rounds deep in the lands or hot enough for the bolt to stick and see if your remington extractor doesn't slip off the case head, then you can have fun getting the live round or spent case out of the chamber. You shouldn't be loading hot enough or cases with loose enough primer pockets to blow the primers out anyway. Good luck.

I am more partial to the controlled feed / Mauser style extractor found in pre 64 and the newest winchester M70s as well as ruger M77s.

After the mauser claw type extractor I really like the pinned M16 style extractor.

Works well like the Sako but much safer. The best I've seen is on the Competitive Edge bolts. Puts it in the 3 O'clock position inside the lug.

341174.jpg

GrearGrinder hit it on the head:

1) CRF Controlled Round Feed- can still be found in a few custom actions.
2) M-16 without a doubt, just as strong as a Sako & safer
3) Sako- argueable placement -I almost messed myself when I watched my first video of a Sako Install.

If you can find a CRF that you like I would recommend giving it a whirl, if not M-16 all the way

I use SAKO. I've HEARD of the "fly out and down the raceway" stories, but NEVER seen one fail, nor know anyone who has had it/or seen it happen.

NesikaChad (Chad Dixon of LongRifles Inc), has seen it twice IIRC, personally, being a safety coordinator by trade, that is one hazard that is easily mitigated. No more Sako's for me (unless it's in the lug), I feel there are more robust designs out there, why not?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.