Educate me on differences of barrel contours.

Tall

I am wanting to re barrel my 7mm Remington Mag, Weatherby Vanguard. I know I want it to be a long range shooter, fluted and a brake added on. I looked at a Remington sendero and it is very heavy. I am trying to understand the differences between all the barrel options. Does any body have any good experience and advice. I am not looking for theory's, just a discussion with people that know what they are talking about.

Barrel contours are typically selected to match the intended use of the rifle. The heavy "bull" barrel provides a lot of stability, especially on a well designed rest, but it would be ridiculous to select one of those for hunting in the field. Fluted barrels reduce weight. There are some theories in circulation that, because of the increased surface area produced by fluting, they may cool faster. However, even if that were true (and I doubt it) the degree of cooling over time between shots would be of little value in a hunting rifle. But fluting does have its merits for the reduction in total weight that fluting provides.
Small diameter barrels are, obviously, lighter in weight. Because they contain less bulk than the larger diameter barrels, they do tend to cool faster than their "overweight" counterparts. But they also tend to heat up more quickly than the heavier barrel. That contributes to barrel whip after a few shots so they don't make good target rifles. They are most often selected for hunting rifles.
"Medium" diameter barrels are a popular compromise. They tend to fill the gap between the light weight barrel and the "bull" barrel. For hunting carry they add a bit more weight but, IMO, they provide good service in a hunting rifle and can be used for tactical target shooting - provided that the shooter doesn't try to run fifty rounds down the tube ever hour.
Heavy "bull" barrels are heavy and awkward. They do tend to reduce recoil and our weight lifting champion (Arnold) might handle one shooting off hand but few of us could do that kind of shooting successfully. IMO, not a good choice for a hunting rifle - unless of course your hunting is limited to shooting ground squirrels from a bench supported shooting rest. gun)

I can tell u a sendero is no fun to carry all day especially in fairly rugged country. I do it with my .300rum and will continue to do it for awhile but I'm looking at building an extremely lightweight rifle for daily hunting and having the sendero for "special" places where I need to reach out and touch things. I'd just go with a standard hunting contour

This chart may help the discussion. CLICK on it to enlarge.

Attachments

• barrel-contours.jpg
    barrel-contours.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 4,230
Very good information. If you have deep pockets and lots of time you can build a few rifles for different uses. One heavy gun for practicing and putting allot of lead down range for practice. One super accurate but light weight for hunting and packing in rugged mountain.

This last weekend I covered 10.5 miles in rugged terrain. My current rifle weighs in at about 10 pounds fully loaded with a heavy nightforce optic. Im thinking that i want to go some were in the medium barrel. A little bigger than the standard sporter barrel but not a heavy bull barrel. I want as rigid and stiff barrel as possible in a hunting environment. I want to be able to put 10 rounds on range with good accuracy. I would guess that a heavy barrel will also take a little longer to cool off since there is more material to hold the heat.

Do any of you use any tricks for cooling off your gun faster?

How about a Carbon Wrapped Barrel?
You can have the best of both worlds. Heavy contour and light weight.
The several examples I have come across in UK have all been very, very accurate too.
Just a thought.
Brit.

How about a Carbon Wrapped Barrel?
You can have the best of both worlds. Heavy contour and light weight.
The several examples I have come across in UK have all been very, very accurate too.
Just a thought.
Brit.

I like it, I would love carbon fiber, but the cost i don't.

Personally I think the carbon barrel era is too green. I was dead set on a MR graphite barrel but way too few options on the barrel insert (criterion button pulled) and at 600 which isn't bad, but the barrel diameter limits stock options too. The ABS/proof research I don't even want to look at for 900, plus they barrel their own, and with very little feedback on the line and in general I'd rather take my luck to a known barrel maker w/ a lighter contour. If you have cash to burn and a vault full of toys, go for it but I don't.

I know the MR's weigh in at 3-3.4lbs, not sure about proof's weight. I talked to MR about their barrels. They said they have a high speed of their barrel compared to a heavy steel barrel. Their barrel was stiff as a broom stick when shot compared to the steel barrel looking like spaghetti. If I could pick the manufacture and configuration for the insert I may still consider MR, but until the carbon era picks up my money is going to known barrel makers.

For what it's worth.....

LRH is all about the first cold bore shot!

A thin barrel is as effective at that as the heavy one for that first shot. And in a hunting situation won't heat up much if additional shots may be needed.

A "little" more weight helps with steadiness. Too much unwieldy weight and u don't want to pack it.

My first barrel on an extreme magnum in 277 cal was 30" and at least .75" at the muzzle. Was a really great shooter. When it gave up the ghost it was replaced with a 28" length and much lighter contour.

The world is much better. Nicer to carry, 11 lbs all up. And the muzzle doesn't bounce off of trees. :)

True on the cold bore and hunting but I believe the op said he would like to have the option of stringing a few together for fun.

Personally I think the carbon barrel era is too green. I was dead set on a MR graphite barrel but way too few options on the barrel insert (criterion button pulled) and at 600 which isn't bad, but the barrel diameter limits stock options too. The ABS/proof research I don't even want to look at for 900, plus they barrel their own, and with very little feedback on the line and in general I'd rather take my luck to a known barrel maker w/ a lighter contour. If you have cash to burn and a vault full of toys, go for it but I don't.

I know the MR's weigh in at 3-3.4lbs, not sure about proof's weight. I talked to MR about their barrels. They said they have a high speed of their barrel compared to a heavy steel barrel. Their barrel was stiff as a broom stick when shot compared to the steel barrel looking like spaghetti. If I could pick the manufacture and configuration for the insert I may still consider MR, but until the carbon era picks up my money is going to known barrel makers.

Hi
You make a fair point. The Carbon Barrels and Rifles I have come across were all from Christensen Arms and were made using Shilen Blanks. Christensen I see are now using their own Manufactured Blanks. It will be interesting to see what happens now.

Brit.

Call me crazy but I'd bet the house Christiansens barrel making abilities aren't quite up to the krieger bartlein standards.

I personally like a thick barrel. The ONLY downside to a thick barrel is weight.
My guns weigh 16-18 lbs and i lug them 1-4 miles with a 30 lb pack just about every weekend. At 6'3" and 240lbs, 40-50 lbs is manageable for me.

My point being if you want a gun to practice lr and hunt with, determine what your acceptable weight is and build around that. Your stock, scope and barrel mfg's all list weight for their goods so its not difficult to get an accurate estimation before you build.

I have a pencil barreled mod 70 thats very light if i need to hunt where i may be walking long dist, but it doesnt leave the safe very much.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.