Barrel Contours

jon12

On the scale of standard contours(#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, ect.), where does something like a remington sendero contour fall? What is generally(i know it all depends on what you want to lug around)the heaviest barrel people use on a practical hunting rifle that is usually used sitting in a deer stand but occasional walk hunting? About how do barrel contours like #3, #4, #5, rem sendero, ect. in about a 26" lenth on a long action, fiberglass stocked rifle equate to total rifle weight in pounds?
Also, do yall think that if ive been used to shooting a wood stock rem 30-06 with a 22" factory bdl barrel(prettty light contour) and i went to something like a 7mm rem mag but in a fiberglass stocked rifle with a 26" heavy contour barrel, would i notice a large increase in kick or would the extra weight help cancel the extra kick?
Thanks.

I believe that the Sendero conture is like the heavy varmint that Remington offers that would be about a 6.5 on you scale I would think.

As for the recoil , a 7mm is gonna kich harder than any 30-06 in a rifle that is close to the same weight if your shooting factory ammo. You will probably notice the differance but it may be slight enough to counter it with a good recoil pad.

On my lighter rifles I still like to use a heavier barrel and suffer with an off ballanced rifle which isin't a probablem as I hardly ever shoot with out some sort of support. A good mid weigh between the light sporter weight and the Sendero would be a #5 useing the Douglas chart. a 26" barrel in this conture would weigh about 4 pounds where I would think that the Sendero of the same bore would weigh about 5-6lbs.

I have a rifle using a #4 Pacnor @ 24", Remington LA, on a McMillan Remington sporter stock with the "light fill" that scales 7.5 lb, bare rifle. I have a brake on this rifle and shoot 200 gr bullets at 3000 fps. With the brake felt recoil seems less than my old Winchester mod 94 30-30.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.