Barrel contours

texas

Ok went all the way back to the begging to check before asking. Now what is the best way to determine which contour is best? Not counting a straightbull barrel but one for a med/heavy hunting rifle say in the 9.5-11lbs range without a scope? Also would like to have the muzzle somewhere around .950dia. All this for a 50. cal pill and no more than 27" in lenght.

Ian M

Most barrel maker's sites (or catalogs) have a chart that describes the barrel contours they offer. If you talk to the builder he can also tell you pretty accurately how much your barrel will weigh when you have cut off a certain length from a certain contoured barrel.
I would question if your could get a rifle built that light with a 0.950 muzzle at 27". You can easily weigh your action, stock, and scope. Then you will know how much barrel weight you can use to stay within your weight objective. We checked some rifles that have fairly heavy stocks and muzzles in that range and they are 12-14 lb. or even a little more.

Someone like Dan Lilja would help you get the correct barrel blank real quick.

texas

Thanks Ian I need all the help I can get. Maybe I was dreaming about the weight but a mans' go to do what he thinks is right for him. How's the hunting up that way? Always heard that there was good hunting (L.R.) for moose and caribou.

Ian M

We are not well known for moose or caribou, as a matter of fact there is no season for caribou anymore. Most common critter is the whitetail deer and we grow some very big bucks. Deer herd doesn't seem to be doing very well tho.
Have hunted caribou several times in northern Quebec and it is a wonderful hunt - the bulls are one of the most impressive sights you will ever see in the wilderness. Lots of opportunity for long shots as much of the range is barren.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce